We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

I will be renting a house in June 2011 in Key West for a week and want to know the pros and cons of the 2 locations I'm considering. The first location is a home in the Truman Annex area. The second is a home off of Duval and Catherine Street closer to the south end of the island. Both homes are single family homes with a private pool, sleeping 6-8 and prices are not much different. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations on these areas or renting a home in June?

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations of weekly rental homes that will sleep 8 people let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

We're renting in Truman Annex next week. It's a townhouse that sleeps 6. It's the 1st time we've rented in the annex so I'll post next week and let you know what we think.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

You can't go wrong, you'll be in Key West. That being said, I'd prefer Truman Annex. Duval and Catherine, although not right on top of the 'action' can be kind of busy (loud). While in Truman Annex, you're in quieter surroundings, a short bike ride to everything and probably have access to a nice pool. All things considered, my vote would be the Annex. Just sayin'

Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

We stayed in the Truman Annex in Dec.2009 and could not have asked for a better stay. You are in a beautiful, well kept private area. You are close to Ft.Zach and a couple of blocks from Duval. I would highly recommend it.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

I like the Truman Annex. It's just 2 blocks off Duval, right in the middle of things, it's quiet at night, and no blasting car stereos or motorcycles revving there engines at 3am (which seems to be a sport on Duval)

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

We've been in TA rentals on a few occasions, and we love it. We always seem to get sucked in to the Green Parrot for one last one on the way home!

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

this map gives you a clue (it is out of date) as to what is around catherine and duval and it is a lot imo. there is a certain advantage to be able to make a quick walk to get breakfast. i like the south end better than the north end so i would not dismiss the southern part of duval location. however, cannot really go wrong with either. one is close to south beach, one is close to ft zach. total toss up except for a slight convenience edge to catherine and duval (for my tastes). http://seefloridaonline.com/duval/

Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

We spent the month of April in Truman Annex and highly recommend it. Easy walking distance to almost everything except Smathers beach. My wife was in a wheelchair and we still walked everywhere. Nice and quiet and beautifully landscaped. We were in the Shipyard section and used the pool every day. For a late night drink, the Green Parrot was 2 blocks away and pizza was available next door at Baba los. Can't go wrong with Truman Annex.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

We definitely prefer the Truman Annex location -- just a lot closer to all the places we frequently visit.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
356 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

I have to agree that Truman Annex is just a great central location for a stay in KW. Walking distance to just about everything in Old Town although we always get bikes and ditch the car. As mentioned above you get the added quiet because it is a gated community, not all of the through traffic.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Truman Annex vs Duval St / Catherine St

Both are great locations. I would base my decision on the house pictures, reviews, and response from the agents. As everyone already said, Truman Annex is a very well kept area full of wealthy part time residents, and tourist rentals.

Catherine Street between Duval and Simonton is a mix of residential, A Government office building (the former Gato Cigar Factory) , a restaurant and a bar in a nice area of town called Gato Village. This area was the home of many cigar workers who worked in The Gato Cigar Factory and has many traditional shotgun houses. This block of Catherine Street is also the block Key West artist Mario Sanchez lived on.

Edited: 28 July 2010, 13:23