We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

Me and my sweetie are going to Key West (my first time!) in 2 weeks, and I am already packing! What is the open container law there? Could I walk around with my own cup or styro cup around the streets? Also, I booked a gourmet sunset dinner cruise with Dreamchaser, it is like $80/person, just 2 of us, but do I tip??? Thanks!!!

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
71 reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
56 reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

you tip for any service.

And you can drink on the streets as long as it isnt in a glass container.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

I wish I could remember the specifics about open containers, but I'm a little fuzzy on it. I think that if you leave a restaurant on Duval you can get a to-go cup, but I'm not sure you can carry one on other streets.

As far as tipping goes, I'd tip a minimum of 20% (same as in a restaurant).

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

You can drink if your a tourist, in the tourist areas, the homeless are always being picked up for violating the open container law.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

You can not drink on any beach. You won't be bothered by KWPD on Duval with a plastic cup, provided you are not acting drunk and stupid.

Tip 20% minimum for good service at any food/drink establishment.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

i find most things that need to be carried are a nuisance. yes, you can do it, but the bars are so close to each other that it lacks any practical value really, and what if you want to pop into a nice shop with "no drinks allowed?" and your dinner cruise for just the two of you - that is a deal - tip well depending on service.

Edited: 27 July 2010, 20:15
Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

Technically, it's illegal. No glass, don't be loud and obnoxious, and you should be fine.

People survive on toursim and tips. Tip well, especially if they have worked hard for it. It may be warm and beautiful in KW, but scratching out a living there is very hard for many in the service industry.

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

As ChrisandLou said, although you are on vacation, the locals are working for a living. 20% is a good rule of thumb. If you get exceptional service, give more.

And although it is illegal, you won't be bothered if you have a plastic cup and are not acting drunk, loud or obnoxious. You'll see many others carrying cups.

Have a great time!

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

<i find most things that need to be carried are a nuisance. yes, you can do it, but the bars are so close to each other that it lacks any practical value really, and what if you want to pop into a nice shop with "no drinks allowed?">

Easy -- you finish your drink and go in. :) We don't typically carry drinks around, but have on rare occasion. We usually just finish our drinks before moving on to the next place.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

It's illegal and it's tacky. You probably won't be arrested if you don't act seriously stupid( a little stupid is expected) but I think it's so much nicer to find a spot to perch and people watch and finish your drink and move on.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcohol law question and charter sail question...

While I know it is a time honored tradition, I agree with jdjn. While police do not usually disturb tourists, drinking from open containers is illegal. There are plenty of bars to drink in. As others said, you do tip on sailing cruises.