We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

Here's a question I don't recall ever seeing on this board: what bars are best if you just want to have something to eat 'at the bar' rather than at a table. I'm thinking something other than happy hour stuff or appetizers (not that there's anything wrong with those).

Your 'fixin' to pull up a stool' pal,

Davy

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

We have eaten at the bar at both Santiago's and Tavern N Town. At Santiago's we did have tapas, but there were lots of different plates. At Tavern, we did have duck pizza but we were presented with the dinner menu (just not the summer 3-course menu) and saw people eating dinner at the bar.

Mentioned in this post
Tavern N Town
Tavern N Town
1,649 Reviews
Key West, FL
Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

Finnegan's Wake -- we almost always eat at the bar and get great service.

Rum Barrel -- we don't go there as often anymore, but we rarely sit at a table. I love the bartenders there and the ONLY time we'd sit at a table is if there's live music upstairs on the deck.

Flying Monkey Bar -- too much going on at the bar to want to sit at a table. ;)

Sports Page -- lots of TVs and has a great happy hour.

Why don't you ask where we *don't* sit at the bar? ;) (El Siboney and Salsa Loca -- although we do sit at the bar at SL late night)

Mentioned in this post
Salsa Loca
Salsa Loca
396 Reviews
Key West, FL
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,922 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

We almost never sit at a table anymore. Even at the nicest of restaurants. Even if we aren't even drinking anything but water, it's become a habit to sit at the bar I guess.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

Marquesa has a small but fun bar to sit and eat dinner at. Always eat at the bar at Finegans and Tavern N town as well.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

davy, my "pull up a bar stool pal" - I asked the same sort of question in 2007. wanted to know the most comfy bar stools in key west. well. almost every meal i have eaten in key west has been at a bar. My personal rankings:

1. The Afterdeck Bar for lunch

2. The Beach bar at Casa Marina

3. The Bar at Rooftop Cafe

4. The Bar at The Grand Cafe

5. The bar at Michael's for fondue

6. the bar at Black Fin Bistro

7. One of the bars at Kelly's Caribean (never could spell Carribbean)

8. The Turtle Kralls Tower Bar (this moves higher as the night gets later)

9. The SWB bar

10. CRSC bar

11. The tiki bar at the Southernmost Hotel

12. The bar at the Southermost on the Beach poolside

13. The bar at the White Tarpon

14. The bar at the Hot Tin Roof (do they have a bar? - vague)

15. The bar at the Smallest Bar for chunks of pineapple (avoid all other chunks)

forget, i mean FORGET that stupid hot dog bar. wine in plastic cups, come on, and forgettable is the la concha roof top bar.

Edited: 28 July 2010, 01:52
Mentioned in this post
Grand Cafe Key West
Grand Cafe Key West
1,427 Reviews
Key West, FL
Hot Tin Roof
Hot Tin Roof
2,027 Reviews
Key West, FL
Smallest Bar
Smallest Bar
195 Reviews
Key West, FL
Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

P.S. Santiago's - wanted to like that bar - crappy stools, seriously crappy.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

"4. The Bar at The Grand Cafe"

Totally forgot eating at the bar there...

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cafe Key West
Grand Cafe Key West
1,427 Reviews
Key West, FL
Miami
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

Sunset Pier - north end

Southern Most Beach Cafe - south end

Love the water views at both!

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Pier
Sunset Pier
3,124 Reviews
Key West, FL
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

Okay, Mr. Day Gam. I'll take your challenge. Let's lay down some rules, shall we? For the bar to make the list, it must be a place where the food is equal to the quality of the drinks.

This leaves my beloved Schooner Wharf Bar off the list. You know you're always in my heart and my liver, SWB, but not my stomach. I could drink at SWB all afternoon (and frequently have), but the food there is, let's say... not the best.

Also, the bar must have a certain something about it that makes you want to come back...great staff, lovely view, terrific food...something...

So,

!) Caroline's: If you haven't had lunch or dinner here, please treat yourself. The food is so delicious and well portioned (meaning huge). The bartenders have always been friendly (Lisa from Concord is a gem. Ask for her). This is always our first stop on our Duval crawl and may have the best burger in Key West.

2) Conch Republic Seafood Co. We had not actually sat at a table inside the restaurant in all of our ten years worth of visits until this past trip (when we carried with us a party of seven including a fiver-year-old). Bar staff is highly energetic, usually very friendly, and mixes a mean mojito. Many is the evening when we intended to go out for a nice dinner, but instead feasted on CRSC's chicken fingers and fries to excess instead.

3) Finnigan's Wake. Some of the very best food and friendliest staff in Key West. The shepherd's pie will make you hungry weeks later, dreaming of when you might be able to go back and partake of its wonders once again. Add in a staggering selection of beers and air conditioning cranked to 11 and we have something of a rarity---an indoor bar in Key West that is worth spending an afternoon in.

4) Half Shell Raw Bar. Have passed many an hour in here with burgers and fries (peel and eat shrimp for Mari). It's open air, but inside for those Sun-is-blazing-my-very--soul days. Or when it's raining.

5) Babalou's. The people watching is great (next to the Green Parrot) and the new Babalou's staff is very friendly. I can see this becoming one of our frequent hang-outs because I may have to try everything on the menu. Our meal last May was outstanding.

That's off the top of my head. I'll kick myself when I remember an obvious choice later.

Thanks for the topic, Davy. I love your writing style. Always makes me smile when I read one of your jovial posts.

Mentioned in this post
Schooner Wharf Bar
Schooner Wharf Bar
2,238 Reviews
Key West, FL
Half Shell Raw Bar
Half Shell Raw Bar
2,188 Reviews
Key West, FL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
713 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best bars to eat 'at the bar'

The one and only time we ate at 7Fish, it was packed, we had no reservation (Anthony Bourdain, where were you) and they asked if we wanted to sit at the bar. That particular night, the barkeep was excellent, we got great service, perfect recommendations for wine, we split an appetizer and one entree, and all the stars were alligned. I do not believe we would have stayed under any other circumstances. Great bar experience among many in KW.