We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in key west

Brownwood, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to stay in key west

We (family of 4) are going to Key West in a few weeks. We like two bedrooms and a kitchen. We are considering the 1800 Atlantic, the Hyatt Windham Pointe and have looked at the Coconut Mallory resort. Anyone have any thoughts on these places. We want ocean views. Thanks

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in key west

I've stayed at the Hyatt windward point---very nice!

Modern kitchen with stainless appliances-granite countertops-etc

The master bedroom has king bed and the bathroom is awesome

Walk-in glass shower ,double vanity, and jacuzzi tub for 2!

The second bedroom has queen bed....

The place is very nice,very clean.....Nice pool area with a little snack type bar on site....It's Not on the beach though***

I will say this--it's located over near the airport in New Town-

Old town is where all the bars/restaurants/shopping is....So you will need to drive in for everything and pay for parking....

If you want everything within walkin distance check out the Galleon resort

and Ocean Key resort and the Pier House...They're all located Front street

at the bottom of Duval.....

If it's ocean and beach you want--then check out Sheraton Suites --Ocean view right across the street from Smather's Beach--plus they offer shuttle service in to Old Town**

Edited: 28 July 2010, 20:34
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in key west

None of those 3 places are in old town, which is the area of interest to most tourists. The Hyatt gets good reviews, but you will need a car to get around, and parking in old town is at a premium.

1800 Atlantic gets mixed reviews, and the quality of the condo is dependent on how well the owner of that unit furnishes and maintains the place. It's also out a ways from old town, but if you have bicycles, it is not a bad ride into town.

Coconut Mallory Resort is on a busy commercial strip in New Town and only convenient to strip malls and fast food joints. I tend to not recommend any place that is on N. Roosevelt Blvd. to travelers who have never been to Key West before, because I do not like the location.

Have you considered staying in a condo or house located in Old Town? There are some very nice places in the Truman Annex for about what you would pay at 1800 Atlantic.

Miami
Level Contributor
783 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in key west

Here are a couple of suggestions for staying in old town where all the activities are.

The Traveler's Palm: http://www.travelerspalm.com/

Coconut Beach Resort and the Banyan Resort are time shares with two bedroom units which would be nice for a family.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in key west

I agree with staying in Old Town. There are some condos/townhouses in Truman Annex that do have oceanviews and the location is much better. Of the three you're looking at, I'd definitely rule out Conconut Mallory based on location alone.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in key west

if you children are youngish and you will mostly be doing water sports etc. you will be fine at any of the places you've chosen, 1800 being the closest to old town. All of the places you mention are on the bike path surrounding the island and bikes will get you anywhere you want to go. 1800 is also very close to smathers and higgs beaches both within walking, biking distance. I find kids would rather do more in and around the water. Parasailing and other water sports available around smathers, paddleboarding and kayaking from huricane hole on stock island, within walking distance of coconut mallory etc. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Brownwood, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in key west

We are looking at a condo in the Truman annex but it has no ocean views..but about 1/2 the price of the 1800 Atlantic. We are definitely not into parties and I wondered about the noise level there..is it quiet at night in that area?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in key west

It is nice and quiet in the Truman Annex, especially if you're not right on Thomas. We've stayed in a Shipyard condo on Thomas and even there the street noise wasn't bad -- just some rooster noise. ;) The location is great -- within close walking distance of many restaurants, Mallory Square, the bight, etc. And the best beach in Key West -- Fort Zach.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in key west

Truman Annex is quiet at night. There are actually few hotels/condos with Ocean Views in Key West. It is a small island. There are plenty of beautiful sights everywhere, though, even if you cannot see the gulf outside your window. And if you stay in Truman Annex, Ft. Zachary State Park, featuring a pristine beach, is within walking distance, as is a very nice pool.

You may also want to consider Island City House. They are a family friendly guest house and I believe they have two bedroom suites with a kitchen, just like what you're looking for, and are in the Historic Seaport area.

Brownwood, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in key west

Thanks for the input. We have a mixed family..we are middle aged with a 23 year old and a 7 year old. We live on a lake and water is important. We are trying to decide whether to spend more or go for less and not on the water in Old Town. It is our first trip to Key West so we aren't really sure where to be.

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in key west

Please stay in Old Town. There is far more to do within walking distance and with such a broad range in the kid's ages, it will be far easier to please everyone within a short walk.

As far as access to water, the entire island is less than 8 square miles. You can wade in from the Atlantic Ocean on South Beach, walk right down Duval St, and plop down th the Gulf of Mexico - and your feet will still be wet.