We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poker Run Weekend

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Poker Run Weekend

Hi. Is Poker Run a bit like a "bike fest"? Is it really crowded? Can anyone give me some additional info about it...

Thanks for your help.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poker Run Weekend

Its crazy crowded and crazy loud but its very cool if you are into bikes. The event usually draws over 10,000 bikers.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poker Run Weekend

Here is some more info.

http://petersonsharley.com/Default.asp

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Poker Run Weekend

Thanks Arnie. How is traffic driving down with all the bikes?

Sounds fun. We can't make it to FF this year so I'm looking for something different and fun.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poker Run Weekend

It can be very slow with all of the bikes because there is so many and it is a Poker Run.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poker Run Weekend

It gets crowded and loud in the lower Duval street area but I don't notice it too much in the rest of town. It's fun to go and check out all the bikes. Traffic may be worse this year with all the road construction and lane closures, last year really hardly noticed heavier traffic in town. when I used to drive down from Miami on Friday evening the trip wasn't any slower than normal during poker run

Edited: 05 August 2010, 15:43
South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poker Run Weekend

JD,

You must have lucked out. The traffic I would get stuck in was horrible. A couple of years there where accidents which made it even worse. I forget which year it was but we just about decided to stop at Marathon for the night because traffic was so bad trying to get back home. And you gotta love the idiots who love to rev up that engine and set off car alarms.

Edited: 05 August 2010, 15:47
key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poker Run Weekend

It's been a lot of years Arnie, lol, but I would say I'm a lucky gal in general. I just don't normally sweat the small stuff.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poker Run Weekend

You could not pay me to drive on Route 1 during this event. I agree with Arnie, traffic is out of control. In the almighty pursuit of tourism dollars, this event is allowed to bring The Keys to a standstill. I have been caught in the traffic. Never again.

I actually try to be out of town at this time. Gotta agree about the term "idiots". I have actually had pictures fall off my wall since people seem to think you need to have your bike be as loud as possible driving through Old Town.

If you come, please have some respect for the people who live here, and bring your muffler.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poker Run Weekend

SDT, I guess there really is a difference depending on what part of the island you live on. I truly have not noticed it much in the past years unless I deliberately go down to check out the bikes. I think in general the bikers I've met have been very respectful and I have watched them spend a ton of money too which doesn't hurt the local economy. I agree, there are always some jerks who come along for the ride, so to speak, and ruin it for the rest.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poker Run Weekend

Yes, it matters where you live. People are not gunning their bikes and racing down Harris Street or through Key Haven. I live in the 400 block of Amelia and it is a terrible event. I realize I live near Duval, but this event is the worst in terms of excessive speed and noise on small streets. I do not want to start an argument, but you can justify anything by saying it brings money to town. I am now waiting for the post which will tell me about all the great charity work bikers do.

I have nothing against bikers who respect others, but unfortunately, it is far more then a few jerks who ruin this event.

Maybe one day the police will actually enforce the law against excessive noise and speed and be sure the organizers know it will not be tolerated. I will not hold my breath. Instead I will secure my fragile items, take my pictures off the walls, and leave town for a week.