We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for fantasy fest experts

grand rapids, MI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Questions for fantasy fest experts

We are planning a trip to Key West. We would have to leave by Friday Oct 29th. Would we miss out on all the fantasy fest action leaving at this time? We would arrive on the 23rd and leave either Thursday or Friday(need to be home for the kids on Hollaween). If we go, any suggestions on where to stay? We would like a pool and be close to the action. Celebrating wife's 40th and we want to party!!!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

Here is the official site for Fantasy Fest and it has the schedule of events for the week. There is plenty for you to do while you are there but it does build up to the weekend you are leaving with Sat having the big parade down Duval. Do not wait too long to make reservations since you want to be close to the action. You will find rates very high but it is a busy time for Key West. Look at the Best Western Hybiscus, Ocean Key Resort, The Westin, Southernmost Motel, The Pier House, The Blue Marlin, The Orchid Key and The Almond Tree and see whats available. Rates will probably really vary between the places I listed.

http://www.fantasyfest.net/

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

We've been to FF 4 times since 2001. WIll you miss all the action....no. Will you miss the 2 wildest nights of FF, yes. That being said, like Arnie has listed, there are tons of things to see and participate in the beginning of the week. Go for it!!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

I have been twice, don't think that qualifies me as an expert, but I'll share what I've experienced. Whether or not you're missing out depends upon your tolerance for crowds. The parties I enjoy are Party in Plaid (Tues), Red Party (Wed), Toga Party (Thurs), and Friday's parade. I did not find the crowds to be any big deal up to Thursday. Thursday night, the streets are filled and by Friday, people have driven from the mainland for the weekend. Yes, the parade is fun IF you know where to watch it and actually SEE it. However, trying to walk afterwards is like walking the wrong way on a one-way street. Betw Friday - Saturday is when I've seen more of the over-the-top obnoxious behavior. We have a few friends who ONLY enjoy coming Mon-Thurs so again...it depends on whether or not *you* feel you're missing out.

grand rapids, MI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

Thanks for all the great info...I think we are leaning towards going for it!! Maybe missing Friday and Sat will be a good thing for first time Key west / Fantasy fest group. Might allow us to get a taste and keep us coming back for more. A lot of hotel choices--is there one hotel that you would put at the top for 175-225 a night range

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

I'll add that in my experience the aggressive behavior ramps up from Wednesday to Thursday. I can't imagine having to deal with the crowds Friday or Saturday.

Tuesday and Wednesday are good for this old body.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

Like Bella stated there our quite a few bar parties that aren't official FF events that are a lot of fun: Kelly's Kinky Karnival I think is on Monday, it's a blast just to see the costumes or lack of then as they walk up the street (held at Kelly's Restaurant) have fun, it's something you'll never forget!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

lol, I only like the last Fri and Sat but I only do The Fair, The March and then the Parade.

Stag,

You are going to have trouble finding something near the action with that budget. Start calling the places listed to get a better idea of what the ballpark is.

If you do not mind staying a little farther away, look at the New Town hotels on this map.

keywesttravelguide.com/key-west-hotel-map.ht…

Edited: 06 August 2010, 16:49
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

Ooops, had a redhead moment, lol. I said "Friday's parade" and what I meant to say was Friday's Masquerade March. The parade is on Saturday. Sorry!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
923 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

Ahh, a red head................

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions for fantasy fest experts

We sort of prefer in many ways the earlier parts of the week. Kelly's is awesome, and Capt Tony's and Fogarty's puts on a nice party as well. Thursday night starts getting really packed, and once Friday hits, it is sheer bedlam. We have a good time, but a lot of the "amateur crowd" comes down and it can get overwhelming. You can participate as little or as much as you want - but it seems to be more fun if you are a participant!