We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

We just got back from our third annual Key West Vacation to Paradise!! It just keeps getting better…. Now that we have done most of the “must do’s” – we now just relax and do what we like while still trying new things along the way. Here’s a recap our two weeks with my own ratings of “Loved It!” “Liked It” “Neutral” or “Hated It”:

Friday, Day 1

We arrived at EYW airport picked up our Dollar Rent-a-car – a Ford Focus - and we were off! Rating: “Loved It!”

We stopped at Hogfish for a delicious lunch (we split the Hogfish sandwich and had a couple Younglings). Rating: “Loved It!”

Checked into our townhouse, left at 5 p.m. and stopped at Alonso’s – had a couple Yuenglings and a fish dip app. Rating: “Loved It!”

Headed to the first CTH at the Galleon Tiki Bar. Lots of fun talking and catching up with everyone! Rating: “Loved It!”

Went to see Howard Livingston & MM24 performing on Duval for Mel Fisher Days. Rating: “Loved It!”

After the show we all headed over to Schooner Wharf. Magic Frank performed his card tricks with help from Seabus and of course Skipper. Had some more Yuenglings and some food and left around 11:15 pm. We got to bed around midnight – we had been up 21 hours. Now that’s “Living on Key West Time”! Rating: “Loved It!”

Saturday, Day 2

We went to Harpoon Harry’s for breakfast. Rating: “Liked It”

We called A&M Bike Rental and arranged for 2- week rental. The A&M shuttle came and picked us up and brought us over to their shop on Truman. Rating: “Loved It!”

We rode the bikes over to Turtle Kraals for 4 pm Happy Hour up on the Tower Bar. Had the Bucket of Bones and the Brisket Sandwich. Rating: “Loved It!”

We went to Mallory Square for the sunset celebration. Being Saturday, it was packed with a lively crowd and the usual collection of performance artists. Rating: “Liked It”

Sunday Day 3

Pastries from Old Town Bakery on Eaton for breakfast. The cheese Danish and almond croissants were delicious! Rating: “Liked It”

To Dante’s for “Sunday Mass.” Jumped in the pool. After a nice long soak we ordered some beers and fish dip and relaxed to the fabulous music of “Caffeine Carl and the Buzz.” Rating: “Loved It!”

Time for Drag Bingo at 5 pm at 810 Bourbon St. Bar. We didn’t win anything but it was a fun afternoon that we will never forget! Rating: “Loved It!”

We walked over to Salsa Loca for dinner. Rating: “Neutral”

Monday Day 4

Split a Cuban sandwich from the Cuban Coffee Queen. Rating: “Loved It!”

Next we rode over to the Tropic Theater on Eaton for “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” Rating: “Loved It!”

After the show we walked over to Willie T’s for a 2 for $12 Mohito. Rating: “ Neutral”

Rode our bikes down to the Southernmost Beach Café for happy hour snacks. (Tuna Sliders) Rating: “Liked It”

Drove thru Wendy’s on the way home and picked up some salads. Rating: “Liked It”

Tuesday Day 5

We went to Camille’s for breakfast. Rating: “Neutral”

Went to the Chart Room Bar in the Pier House and had a couple of drinks. Rating: “Loved It!”

Went to Sunset Pier for the Tuesday Summer Shrimp Boil. The shrimp was delicious, music was wonderful, and the sunset was beautiful! Rating: “Loved It!”

On the way home we stopped at Pepe’s and had their fantastic Key Lime Pie. A very tasty way to end the day! Rating: “Loved It!”

Wednesday Day 6

Road trip today! Drove up to MM47 to the Pigeon Key Visitor Center just in time to catch the 11:30 a.m. “ferry” (speed boat) to historical Pigeon Key for a guided tour of the site of the Henry Flagler railroad workers’ camp. Rating: “Liked It”

We left Pigeon Key at 1:30 and headed to Sparky’s Landing (MM53.5) for a late lunch. We both had the fish tacos and they were sooo good! Rating: “Loved It!”

That night we picked up a Mr. Z’s Pizza. Rating: “Liked It”

Thursday Day 7

We rode our bikes over to Schooner Wharf around noon to listen to Michael McCloud and have a little lunch. Bill bought some of Michael’s CD’s (which he signed) and we had a nice talk with him. Rating: “Loved It!”

We then rode over to Nancy Forrester’s Secret Garden. We walked around and spent time with all the parrots, cockatiels, and other birds throughout the garden. Rating: “Liked It”

We headed right to Dante’s for a beer and a swim in the pool. Rating: “Loved It!”

Later we met Seabus and Janie at Schooner Wharf and had dinner – the Key West Mahi Melt – it was good. Rating: “Loved It!”

Friday Day 8

Went to Sarabeth’s for lunch - Bill had a shrimp/bacon omelet and I had almond crusted banana French toast. Rating: “Loved It!”

Walked over to Kermit’s and had a frozen Key Lime Pie on a Stick and sat by the fish pond to eat. Rating: “Liked It”

We got to the Tiki Bar for CTH at 6 pm We saw a beautiful sunset and had a nice visit with everyone. Rating: “Loved It!”

We stopped at Finnegan’s Wake had a snack and listened to the soulful singer Robert Albury.

Rating: “Loved It!”

Saturday Day 9

We rode into town to the Hemingway Days Street Fair. It was so hot as usual. Rating: “Liked It”

We went to Sloppy Joe’s for lunch – and we both had Sloppy Joes! It’s always fun to see all the Papas with their white beards and red berets. Rating: “Loved It!”

We rode to Higgs Beach where we sat in the water just to cool off. Rating: “Neutral”

That night we drove up to Mangrove Mamma’s (MM20) for dinner. We each had a cup of She Crab Soup and split the Lobster Reuben sandwich. We had a beer and listened to their singer for a while. Rating: “Liked It”

Sunday Day 10

Met friends for breakfast at Goldman’s Deli. Rating: “Liked It”

Rode our bikes over to Schooner Wharf and listened to Michael McCloud and Friends and had some beers and apps. Rating: “Loved It!”

Went over to Local Color and Bill bought me a beautiful silver and gold KW bracelet! I LOVE IT!

We rode our bikes in the rain to Alonso’s and we were soaked! We had some happy hour beer-steamed KW pink shrimp, some fish fingers, and some beers. Rating: “Loved It!”

Went to the 5:30 sound check at Green Parrott. When we got there the Bill Blue Band was already rocking the house. Rating: “Loved It!”

We rode over to B.O.’s Fishwagon and had a Grouper Sandwich to top off a wonderful day! Rating: “Loved It!”

Monday Day 11

Did the 10 a.m. Key West Water Tours Waverunner tour leaving from Hurricane Hole on Stock Island. – almost 2 1/2 hours of riding. It was a lot of fun and something I’m glad we did but I don’t think I would do it again – Atlantic waters were just too wavy and scary for me! Rating: “Liked It!”

Back at the Hurricane Hole marina we were given tickets for a free beer at the bar and then Bill and I stayed there and had lunch. Food was pretty good – they have a $6.99 lunch menu. Rating: “Liked It”

For dinner, we had a “Famous” Hogs Breath Hot Dog at Hogs Breath. We listened to the singer Cliff Cody for a while. Rating: “Liked It”

We went on Magic Tim’s 9 pm Ghost Tour starting at Duval & Caroline. Our guide led us all around the haunted places of Key West. It was the perfect night for a ghost tour because there was a Big Full Moon shining in the sky! Rating: “Loved It!”

The tour ended at Captain Tony’s Bar (did you know there’s a grave in there?) and that’s where Bill and I stayed for a beer at the bar because we had enough walking!! Rating: “Loved It!”

Tuesday Day 12

We drove over to Cuban Coffee Queen and picked up some cafe con leche and Cuban egg sandwiches for breakfast. Rating: “Loved It!”

Went to the Tropic Theater for the afternoon showing of “Cyrus.” I love going to the Tropic Theater – they have the BEST popcorn! Real butter and a whole assortment of flavored salt. Rating: “Loved It!”

Later, we met friends for dinner at Finnegan’s Wake. Rating: “Loved It!”

Wednesday Day 13

Bill drove over to Cuban Coffee Queen again and picked up a Cuban sandwich for us to share. Rating: “Loved It!”

At 3 pm it was time for our “Speedboat Snorkel Safari” through Sunset Tours. First we drove our 2-seater speedboat through a mangrove, then went out into the Atlantic to a reef and snorkeled. Then we went over to a sunken ship and snorkeled again, rode around some more, and then back to Hurricane Hole. Rating: “Loved It!”

Thursday, July 29, 2010 Day 14

This was our last full day in KW, so to make it special we went to Latitudes on Sunset Key for lunch. We parked in the Westin Garage (3 hours free parking included), then caught the Sunset Key shuttle boat at 11:45. We sat inside by the window - what a beautiful view! Bill had the Grouper Sandwich and I had the Turkey Avocado Club. Delicious! Rating: “Loved It!”

At about 7:30 pm we drove to Louie’s Backyard Afterdeck for drinks. We watched the dogs, the sunset, and the sky - it was so beautiful that night! Rating: “Loved It!”

Bill had a taste for spaghetti, so we went to Bobalou’s. I had a slice of Peparoni pizza and a salad. Rating: “Liked It”

Friday Day 15

Our last day! We checked in at Delta for our 12:10 pm flight EYW to ATL and ATL to MDW - all went fine. By 4:05 pm we were back to reality. Another great trip to Key West now just a sweet memory. Rating: “Hated It!”

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

ChicagoPokerGirl Trip Report-"Loved it!"

Edited: 09 August 2010, 02:22
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,288 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

Hey Cherie, love your trip report! As always, I envy your long visits to Key West. ;) Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

Really nice report. Enjoyed your approach!!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

Trip Report : Loved It!

Your visit: Loved it!

Just love ya!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

Loved your report!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

Looks like you need a vacation from the vacation....

Wonderful trip report and its so nice that you had time to visit other places off the island....I got the feeling from reading your report that you had a relaxing but very fun filled vacation....thanks for sharing with all of us.

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

I really enjoyed your report and it sounded like one great trip. As I was reading it, I was in suspense throughout though wondering what it was you were going to hate. I had never hated anything on any of my trips, except for that thing you hated. Yeah, I HATE that, too! Thanks for sharing!

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

I knew there was a "hated it" in there somewhere! Not surprised to see what it was either!

Great report. We have a few items you did on our list and glad to see that you loved them!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

Great trip report. You wore me out just reading it. =)

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,566 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Loved It/Liked It/Hated It

Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing.