We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

Our ship stops in KW on Thur., Oct. 28. I assume Fantasy Fest will be taking place then. Can anyone tell me what to expect in the streets of Key West? WIll there be peple in costumes and decorated boats by that time of day? Will the usual tour vendors and such be available or operating then? Thanks for any info!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,248 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

Below is the official link to the events schedule. Thursdays events are all at night. If your ship is in during the day, you will likely see some people in the streets in costumes, but things really do not get crazy until the evening and over the weekend. All usual tourist vendors will be running and available, but may be busier then usual.

http://www.fantasyfest.net/schedule.cfm

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

Will you have children with you? Even though most of the activity takes place at night, there were some notable exceptions last year.

I love Key West and would take my grandchildren there in a heartbeat, but not during FF, either night OR day.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,248 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

I agree with you Susan. The current October Schedule posted on the city web site does not show a ship in on Thursday the 28th per the OP. However it does show 2 in on Friday, and one in on Saturday, as well as a Disney Ship in on Sunday! I hope the people on these ships know what to expect!

keywestcity.com/egov/…1279203075_788604.htm

Edited: 25 August 2010, 15:10
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

Thank you SO MUCH for the great info! Enjoyed looking at the link to the festivities, too! Looks like a blast!

Oh, almost forgot, are private boats in the marinas and around the area likely to be decorated? (Might make for some good pix!)

Edited: 25 August 2010, 17:41
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,248 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

No, people do not decorate boats for this event that I am aware of.... Only their bodies! You might be thinking of the lighted boat parade that happens around Christmas.

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

MLBcruiser,

Bring extra camera batteries and if you are using a digital camera, a large capacity memory card. Thursday night is when it really ramps up, but if you are in Friday or Saturday, the place will be mobbed with more and different sights than you have ever experienced. At least the Disney ship will be in on Sunday - the "adult" activities have ceased, but there's a lot of cleanup going on. Not a true representation of KW for any of the ships.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

Disney ship the day after FF...LOL! This should be fun!

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

I've had a couple of glasses of wine, otherwise I wouldn't respond.

But having a Disney ship dock in Key West the day after FF? Actually, it's not after FF, which is still going on. That borders on obscene. There are still stragglers who are wearing nothing but body paint. We've been there, seen that, etc.

Would I care? Hell no. And actually, I think my grandchildren are mature enough to deal with nudity, but I think they deserve better.

I'll wait til tomorrow when I'm cold sober to complain more :)

Daytona...
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

Yes,there will be possible sightings of humans in body paint and scanty clothing,they will be having a good time but will not accost a non-reveler. Children watch murders,rapes,and various negative activity on TV and in movies but a human body is supposed to be obscene and hidden from view. Responsible parents will know how to deal with the experience in Key West or anywhere else.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ?s regarding KW atmosphere the Friday before Halloween

Susan, I've ridden my bike down Duval on Sunday morning after the parade. The only people on the street that I've seen are locals and local employess cleaning up the mess left behind from the night before. There is a "fat lady sings" after party but it is isolated to one area. There is also a children's day carnival at Bayview Park. It's extremely family friendly. The Disney Cruisers will probably go to water sports activities or to Clinton Square Mall where the Toy Empoirum is, or customs house or...... I've even spoken to people who have no idea that FF existed, seriously.