We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best beach in Florida?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The best beach in Florida?

I am looking for the best beach in Florida. My husband and I really want to go back to the Caribbean, but won't be able to afford it this year. So I am looking for a place that will be most like the caribbean without the heavy expense. I have heard the Keys are great, but where in the Keys? We like calm relaxing vacations consisting of just laying on the beach and sipping cocktails. Any suggestions?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best beach in Florida?

Don't go to the keys if your goal is to find the best beach in Florida.

Virginia
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The best beach in Florida?

South beach is nice.......in Miami....FT t Lauderdale......and look at the gulf coast beaches.........but rest assured what you are looking for is not in the keys..

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best beach in Florida?

Destin and Panama City both have beautiful white beaches. We have been there several times and loved it. We are headed to Naples,Florida in a week and from the pictures that I have seen the beaches look equally as nice. Key West is not known for beaches as BG said. There are a couple of small beaches that are fun and relaxing but not the typical beach destination. That said, Key West is way more fun than any of these !

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best beach in Florida?

Love sanibel and captiva.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best beach in Florida?

The Siesta Key beaches near Sarasota. http://www.siesta-key.net/beach.shtml - right up there with the best beaches anywhere. however, it is not like the caribbean with a lot of beach-oriented resorts where your drinks are delivered to you as you bask. The Lido Beach Resort --- http://lidobeachresort.com/services.htm --- may be better for that sort of thing. it is on lido key near sarasota. hard to match the caribbean resort flavor in florida imo (swim up bars, beach service, etc.). The Casa Marina in key west tries, but, well .............

Edited: 16 September 2010, 19:37
Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best beach in Florida?

Depends on what you expect out of a beach.

Ours is Haulover just north of Miami. We are now splitting our tourism dollars there with Key West.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best beach in Florida?

Sounds like you may enjoy Anna Maria Island, Sanibel Island, or Marco Island. These are slower paced, quieter areas good for just chilling out.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,348 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best beach in Florida?

It's very much a matter of your expectations. The Keys are not big on beaches. Islamorada has three small ones that make wintering piping plovers happy.

Steve Leatherman's descriptions of the Gulf and Atlantic coasts of Florida may provide some ideas. The quite serious scientist is a proficient beach critic.

www.drbeach.org/yourbeachprescription.htm

Do check air fares to Puerto Rico. Spirit and JetBlue often offer bargains to San Juan, Ponce, and Aguadilla. The NW corner of the island, including Rincón, is becoming increasingly popular.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,566 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best beach in Florida?

What they all said. I also like Sanibel, Captiva and Siesta Key, all on the West Coast.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best beach in Florida?

You might be able to get cheap tickets to Cancun. Head either south to the beaches at Tulum, or the island of Isla Mujeres. Isla has some really nice cheap hotels. Also, great food, and mostly inexpensive.