We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colombian Grace review

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Colombian Grace review

This past Friday night after happy hour, we decided to finally try Colombian Grace. It was a beautiful evening for a walk and it was nice to get away from the motorcycle noise. When we first got there, there weren't many people there and I was disappointed for them. However, that changed within 10-15 min, with one party after another coming in. It is lovely inside, colorful with a great vibe. For an app, we got a beef and a cheese empanada (a rare treat for us). They were delicious! For an entree, CaptBonez got the Artisan Tamales wrapped in banana leaves. He thought it was okay but probably wouldn't order it again--he does not blame the restaurant for that, he just felt it wasn't the right choice for him. Actually, the same thing happened to me. I try to limit red meat consumption and carbs, mainly eating seafood and chicken. I went against my "norm" and got the Bandeja Paisa. My dish included: Red beans, white rice, chorizo, fried pork belly, shredded beef, sweet plantain, green plantain, one fried egg, and one little white corn cake with cheese. I took one bite of the chorizo, the rest went to Bonez...one bite of the fried pork belly (WAY too fatty), the rest went to Bonez, and the fried egg went directly to Bonez. (CaptBonez really enjoyed my entree, lol). The shredded beef, I liked (as I do in Cuban restaurants) and the rest was fine. I'm not a huge carnivore and I made a bad choice "for me". We wouldn't hesitate to try it again and choose something else (which for me, will be seafood). There was only one real disappointment and I hate to call it that. There were two choices for dessert: lemon pie and a chocolate caramel cheesecake. We just thought those two desserts could be on a menu anywhere and were hoping for a dessert with a Latin American flair. However, we did decide to split the lemon pie. Up until that point, service was spot-on (and we NEVER wanted for water). We seemed to wait quite a while for dessert--another woman (we're thinking either an owner or a manager) came over to take our dessert order and we told her we already ordered the lemon pie. She then informed us that they were out of it, apologized, and then told our waitress. The other woman came back with a piece of the cheesecake, apologized again, and told us it was on the house. We thanked her profusely and already knew we were coming back regardless of whether or not they charged us for the pie--but it was a wonderful, professional gesture.

The REAL bad news: They will be closed for vacation from 9/21 (tomorrow) until Goombay Festival (10/22).

Miami
Level Contributor
783 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colombian Grace review

Appreciate your review. I've put my visit off too long. Think I'll start with breakfast and work my way up to the real meat of the issue.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colombian Grace review

Donna are you sure they're closing? We went for breakfast Sunday morning, yummy lobster, avocado omelet BTW, and they did not mention closing. The owner said staying open Thurs/Fri/Sat unless I misheard.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colombian Grace review

Judie, nothing was said while we were there, not even when we said we'd be coming back. I was surprised to see their current Facebook status: "Hi everyone, will be on vacation from Sep 21st till Goombay Festival. Will be back with a lot of energy and big smiles. Will see you soon." 23 hours ago

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colombian Grace review

I am with the Captain on this one. I, too, ordered your entree when I was there, Donna, and loved it.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colombian Grace review

I'm surprised you didn't get the yellowtail snapper, if meat isn't you're thing.

We had it (PJK and I ) back in May, and I think it was being raved about on the local tourist tv channel.

Did you eat upstairs or down?

Edited: 21 September 2010, 06:32
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
848 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Colombian Grace review

Donna -- we've put off going there for the reason you mentioned, the menu looks too heavy for us. When we are in KW we eat a lot of seafood and little beef (always have to make an exception for a trip to Michael's).

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colombian Grace review

I always eat fish and I know the Bandeja is the Colombian signature dish, so I tried something different. Again, it wasn't awful, not at ALL and I loved the beef...it's just more a dish suited to CaptBonez. There are a good number of seafood items on the menu, Bumpy. There were a couple items I specifically didn't choose because they were lobster-heavy...not because I don't love it, because I do...but at any given point during lobster season, we have tons of them in the fridge & freezer, lol. Orion, we sat downstairs and yes, I will try the snapper next time.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colombian Grace review

Bumpy, I don't eat meat and I've eaten at columbia Grace at least three times since it's opening. They are heavy on the shellfish though so my husband who eats fish but not shellfish is a little limited.

Donna, so bummed that they're closing. I love the quietness of Sept but hate that my favorite restaurants are all closed.

NewHampshire
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Colombian Grace review

You're kidding me!!

Colombian Grace was one of my must go-to's when we are down there in early October....geesh, that's going to be closed, as well as Blue Heaven, La Creperie.....my list is getting shorter :(

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colombian Grace review

vic, Sarabeths will be reopened by then :)