We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy a GPS

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
276 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy a GPS

Hello, I am planning a trip to Key West next summer. We plan to fly into Miami and then get a connecting flight down to Key West. After a couple of days here we plan to hire a car and drive up to Key Largo, St Pete Beach, Crystal River before finishing off in Orlando. Normally we hire a GPS with the car but just wondered whether it would be cheaper to buy one (as we generally take our annual vacation in the USA and always hire a GPS).

Can anyone advise where we could buy a basic GPS (and rough idea of cost) in Key West before we hire the car? We are planning to stay at the Ocean Key hotel. Thanks very much for your replies.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
923 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy a GPS

You can probably just order one on the internet. i just got a Garmin Nuvu and it is great....

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
982 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy a GPS

Why don't you order one on line a couple of weeks before your trip and have it shipped to your hotel in Key West.

I personally like the Garmin units. If you go to www.garmin.com/ you can pick out the model you want and then search by model number or just google "gps garminI" to find the best price. I almost always find things like this are cheapest from Amazon. When comparing prices make sure if there is shipping included.

Depending on the bells and whistles, you can get a unit from $100 on up.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy a GPS

Find the nearest Best Buy store in Miami .... less than $100 ... much less if you catch a sale on them.

CompUSA also has them ... this week there was a Magellan for $60. Here's a list of CompUSA stores in the Miami area:

* Aventura: 17641 Biscayne Blvd.

* Dadeland: 7440 N. Kendall Drive

* Falls Area: 14951 S. Dixie Hwy.

* Flagler: 7795 W. Flagler Street

* West Kendall: 12200 N. Kendall Drive

Edited: 01 October 2010, 17:39
South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy a GPS

I LOVE my Garmin Nuvi!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
258 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy a GPS

Buy one online before the trip. Internet is always cheaper than in a store.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy a GPS

If you want to buy one in Key West as you planned, Sears Department Store has them. They are located at Searstown Mall on North Roosevelt. It is about 2-3 miles from your hotel. My guess is one will cost about $100-$150. You can use that to compare the rental cost of one.

Delaware
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy a GPS

FYI, the Garmin (and probably many other brands) has models with both European and US maps installed. You might get more use out of one with both.

Sewell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy a GPS

Heres my idea....

Once you get here hit the first Walmart you can find and buy a prepaid Motorola Droid from Verizon Wireless. Now you have a phone, a way to check your email and send text messages as well as a way to use google maps with navigation. Use the minutes you need and charge it up as you go. I think this is your best bet seeing how you re an out of towner and all. Hope this helps

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy a GPS

It will be much cheaper to buy the GPS unit in the USA than the UK. Sales tax is a lot less and there is no VAT. Since you are flying into EYW, the best option seems to be bying it at the Sears store previously mentioned. However, you really won't need a GPS until you leave the Keys, since there really is one road in and out.. If you can wait until you get to Florida City or Homestead, you will probably get better prices at Target, Mal-Mart. or Best Buy.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy a GPS

I bought one at Radio Shack in one of the strip malls on North Roosevelt. I was in a RS today in Michigan and they had several models at about $100. They had TomTom, Garmin, and an off brand.