We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollywood to Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hollywood to Key West

We have rented a car and are planning a day trip from Hollywood to Key West.

How long is the drive 1way with no stops?

Are there toll booths or fees along the way?

Where should we stop? We probably want to visit the beach, nice swimming, maybe a place to eat, etc....

If going to Key West is too far, where should we go?

thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollywood to Key West

It's about 3-3 1/2 hrs each way and in my opinion is not a suitable day trip- especially if you plan to drink while there. And much of the fun of Key West is in the evening- so I strongly advise one night staying over. The only good way to go is via the Florida Turnpike , which is a toll road ( don't even think about taking 1-95 through Miami). I believe we pay 4 tolls of $1 each going from Ft. Lauderdale just north of you- you may miss one of them by starting in Hollywood , but I don't recall. You will also have the option of going on US1 entirely from Florida City where the Turnpike ends or going on to Card Sound Rd a bit further down where the bridge toll is $1. Many like Card Sound - it's very rustic and Alabama Jack's there is a real experience - but we choose to stay on US 1 . There are many waterfront eating places where you could choose to stop- we stop at Robbie's to feed the tarpon fish, but we don't care for the restaurant there.

You could choose to go down only a as far as Key Largo, islamorada, or Marathon and cut 1- 11/2 hours off your trip- but Key West is so much better in my opinion- I just would never go there as a day trip -correction- I did it once in my lost youth- and learned it was just too far - barely enough time to arrive before it was time to go back- driving after dark on the way back is not my cup of tea- we were almost hit by a drunk driver- too many people on the road in impaired condition late at night in that area in my opinion- and there are stretches that are just two lane where a traffic accident ( or a boat coming off a trailer) can cause a long delay..

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollywood to Key West

2 WOW's about the reply by Lulutoo...first, absolutely agree...and #2.....how the hell do you get 19000 posts?????????

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollywood to Key West

One reply at a time I'd say.Socrog.. seriously - about half of them helped me plan my own travel- like getting to the Parthenon in Athens from our cruise ship for 1 euro via subway instead of on the $100 ship excursion- and we just got back from PA where a fellow TA member took us to watch an elk rutting- quite the experience for a city girl like me- especially when the bull decided to mount the cow right in front of us...

I'm always on the computer as I do free lance research ( I allegedly can find anything for anybody.) so when I have the chance I hop on and off TA- Just have to think about what kind of celebration I can get when the odometer turns to 20,000...maybe a TA Luggage Tag.. yeah...that's the ticket!

Is it snowing up there yet??

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollywood to Key West

thanks lulutoo!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollywood to Key West

There is no match to Key West any where else in the keys. However, a drive to Bahia Honda (or further, if you like) will be memorable. Plenty of interesting stops along the way. Key Largo is not far enough IMO to really experience the keys.

Have you thought about the Everglades?

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hollywood to Key West

socrog - the last time we went to NYC and were looking for advice, someone who had 40,000 posts responded to my question(s). Yes, that's 40 thousand!!!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hollywood to Key West

Gosh, I'd better get busy ( LOL).. maybe if I never sleep I can catch up!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hollywood to Key West

Much of the charm of KW is being there in the evening (sunset) and enjoying adult beverages - not compatible with a day trip. I would end the drive around Islamorada - this list has some ideas of things to see and do.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12780-Everglad…

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,803 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hollywood to Key West

I'm always on the computer as I do free lance research ( I allegedly can find anything for anybody.)

Paul Smith's A Reader's Guide to the Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway for $50.00 or less.

Thanks

Pjk

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hollywood to Key West

As soon as I recover from my lunchtime wine I'll get on it! ( I'll betcha it goes for a lot more than that price though- I do have friend who deals in rare books- so maybe it will be an off internet research!)