We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

i am going to be visiting Key West with a group of friends, and some of them are considering staying at the Heron House. Is anyone familiar with this bed and breakfast? my big concern is that i have bad allergies, particularly to mold, mildew, and dust. i generally try to stay away from B&Bs because often they are older and are more prone to present allergy issues. I saw in a bunch of reviews for the heron house that people complained about a musty smell in some of the rooms. is anyone familiar with this place and feel like they can comment or advise on this? am i going to be better off at a national chain like a sheraton? thanks for your help.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

The Hyatt is supposed to have allergan free or very allergy friendly rooms. I'm not sure if they're available at the property in KW.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

unfortunately the weekend we're going to be in key west must be pretty popular - very few rooms available. the hyatt was either booked or out of our price range. we have reservations at the sheraton, but some people want to switch to the heron house (which surprisingly had rates in our range that weekend) because it's closer to duval.

Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

I've stayed there!! I have allergies too but doesn't sound like as bad as yours, so I'm not sure...I can say that I had no problems there whatsoever. And by that, I mean no problems whatsoever with ANYTHING! We absolutely loved every single moment of our stay at Heron House. The staff couldn't have been more gracious, the rooms and grounds were lovely, and the breakfast was out of this world. The late afternoon wine & cheese hour was truly delightful, we felt like royalty! I guess the water pressure sucked, but that's pretty true of many places in Key West. It was definitely not a deal-breaker.

Despite being so close to Duval it is extremely quiet and serene, so we felt like we had two vacations in one: party like it's 1999 half the time and relaxing like we were on a secluded island at Heron House. Plus it's right around the corner from Fausto's if you need totally affordable snacks, drinks, band-aids, sunburn lotion, etc.

It's been about 7 yrs since we stayed there so I don't know if it's changed a lot since then, I certainly hope not. I would not hesitate to go back in a heartbeat! I was actually a little sad that we had to stay at the La Concha but couldn't turn down the free Priority Club nights. I'd FAR rather stay at Heron House anytime.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

If you want location and something new, you might try Orchid Key Inn if they have availability. The place was newly renovated recently, so I think there rooms would not be musty at all. They have a nice pool and a great location and get lots of great reviews. I have not been to Heron House in years, so I can not help you on that one.

Another brand new place with a good location is Silver Palms Inn. I like to wait to stay in new places so they iron out any kinks, but being brand new might be more important to you. I think they are opening later this month.

Miami
Level Contributor
779 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

You might call and talk to the folks at Heron House directly, as I'm sure they would be helpful. They have two properties - one newer than the other. I enjoyed my stay on the Simonton street location, but it has been a while.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

We've stayed at the Heron House three times, always had a great time there, we stayed in the Garden Terrace Junior Suite ( fantastic room), premium poolside,(nice room) and a Garden Room which was fine! good luck choosing.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
782 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

It is without a doubt in a great location. Never stayed there myself, but have a friend that stayed there about 5 years ago. She neither loved nor hated it. She said it was fine, but nothing to write home about. Can't comment on the allergy situation. We really love, and have stayed at many times, the Simonton Court, which is a block or two away.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

"If you want location and something new, you might try Orchid Key Inn if they have availability. The place was newly renovated recently, so I think there rooms would not be musty at all."

Friends from Scotland stayed at Orchid Key for almost a week around Labor Day and we got to see their room. It was VERY nice with new, modern decor, and not at ALL musty!

http://orchidkey.com/

Philly
Level Contributor
221 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

I would agree with everything jeannie said about this amazing location...and I stayed there less than two years ago.

If you stay there ask if the owners are in town...two of the most charming and intelligent people I have ever met.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is anyone familiar with the Heron House on Simonton?

Another thumbs up for the Heron House. We found it very clean, with a beautiful garden and, as others have said, it has a great location. Here is a description we wrote on our blog after a stay there last year:

"Our room at the Heron was ground floor and opened via French doors onto the central patio and pool. In the mornings they would fill a sideboard with breakfast foods (one hot dish…eggs one day, waffles the next… and fruits, cereals etc.). It really is a beautiful place. The staff was friendly and attentive and the location couldn’t be beat. Duval Street was just around the corner in one direction, with quiet walks through neighborhoods of lovely homes and flower gardens in the other direction.

In fact the Heron House was such a nice place some people just can’t leave it…ever! Cheri was talking with some of the staff about a beautiful plant in the garden (a Crown of Thorns it is called) when they mentioned that it grew over someone’s grave site! It turns out there are four people who, after cremation, have had their ashes buried in the garden there because they loved it so much. Now that’s customer loyalty."

The whole blog entry with other info about Key West is at : …wordpress.com/2009/…

Have fun.

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Bar