We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

I can't beleive it but we are Finally getting a much needed vacation / anniversary getaway!!!!(Anniversary was in May does that tell you how needed it is?) We are planning on coming down to Key West on Oct. 17,and leaving Oct. 22, Never been there so I don't know about what to choose....I have looked at Ocean Key west resort and The Westin key west resort also Southern Most on the Beach. Would like to have something maybe on the beach, Nice, Clean, Roomy with a furnished Balcony with ocean front view.But I don't want to spend my life savings on it.. I am used to Myrtle beach Sc and Panama City Beach, really don't know what to expect with these beaches. We like to walk the beach, watch and listen to the waves not much of swimmers. We are traveling for the first time without any children( our baby started college in Aug) so I want it to be special....Also do we need to rent a car or do they have alot of ways of getting around? Any help is much needed and appreciated......

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

When we stay in a hotel in Key West we stay at the Southernmost on the Beach, it's very nice.

The Pier House and the Ocean Key Resort are also very nice and they are at the busy end of Duval.

There are not many beaches to walk and unless there is a Tropical Storm or a Huricane there will not be any waves to see or listen to.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

Any hotel that is right on the beach, with an ocean view will be expensive. Key West is quite a bit more expensive than Myrtle Beach or Panama City. I doubt you can get a beach front room for much less than $350 a night.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

1) If you are flying into Key West, don't rent a car. Unless you are going to drive up the keys, you really won't need a car.

2) Life is full of choices, Do you want cheap, or do you want Ocean Front? Tough to get both.

You aren't going to get Myrtle Beach nor Panama City beaches ANYWHERE in the keys. Don't even try. You also won't be getting the "sounds of the waves. There isn't much for surf or long sandy beaches. The reef takes it all away.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

Ok thanks for the advice like I said I haven't ever been so I don't know what to expect. My hubby is hoping for some winds, he likes that kinda stormy stuff but not me I like it nice and sunny. Does the Southermmost on the beach have balcony's that you can go out and sit and look at the ocean?

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

Yes as does all the hotels I mentioned.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,148 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

I emailed a friend at the Pier House to see if there is anything available, either an ocean view or a garden view, for your dates, but I doubt I'll know anything until tomorrow. See if this looks inviting...

www.pierhouse.com

It has a small beach but at 1 Duval Street it's location is great. If there's anything available it will be $250 - $300 / night.

Pjk

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

Thanks so much for the help, just let me know when you find out. I looked at it and it is nice.

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

Check out The Reach as well. I got a great deal there and the balcony/view was lovely. None of it broke the bank.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

Congrats on your anniversary!! You made the right choice in Key West. I stay at Ocean Key so I'm totally biased. Ocean Key is right in the heart of the action yet you feel miles away from the hustle and bustle of Duval. And of your other choices you really can't go wrong. Some people look at their accomadations as just a place to rest their heads , i tend to think that the accomadations as part of the enjoyment. There are somr really awesome B&B's (though I'm not a B&B person).As for the KW beaches probally not what your used to but for what you posted Fort Zachary would be sufficent. Please stay in Old Town that way you will get the true KW vibe and then no rent a car is needed (literally everything is in walking distance). Please do one of the trolley tours as soon as possible it is great for first timers, it gives you a great layout of the island, history lesson, photo opts, and some of the "must do's". Where ever you choose to stay mention it's your anniversary and maybe they might be kind and give you an upgrade. A special dinner can be had at Lattitudes (dining on the beach, a lil expensive but worth it). Save room for dessert and head over to Better Than Sex a nice lil dessert boutique where the desserts have some interesting names. ENJOY your trip keep us posted !!!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
230 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I Need Some HELP and Advice FAST!!!

We were there a few weeks ago and stayed at the Casa Marina. We had ocean front with a lanai and were literally just steps from the beach. They could not have been more accomodating for us also. While all the other suggestions are great, add this to your list of places to check. We rented a car using Hertz points that were going to expire, but I agree that you really do not need one. We either walked or took a cab everywhere. From the Casa to the heart of Duval was usually less than $10 including tip.