We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New restaurant ideas needed!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New restaurant ideas needed!

I travel to Key West once a year as a break from a 2 week sales trip in mainland FL. I have been doing the for the past 5 years and will be down there in 2 weeks (Nov. 5-7).

This year I am staying at Simonton Court...first time there, excited to try something new.

Which brings me to my question. Every year I seem to head to the same restaurants for meals. I am single guy, and like to eat at happening places and usually eat at the bar. I want to mix it up a bit this year and try some new places.

Here are some of the places I usually go to:

- Jack Flats (however, I WILL be here on Friday at noon for my annual burger!!)

- Fogarty's

- Conch Republic (mostly for happy hr)

- Hogsbreath (for raw bar)

- Half Shell Raw Bar

- Kelly's

So what are some other favorite you would suggest? I like to get my fill of seafood while I am there and am looking for more casual than fine dining places.

I also rented a scooter for the first time last year...glad I did!! What a great way to get around town!! Got to see more than ever last year!

Thanks!!

NewHampshire
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

Hi!

I was just in KW 2 weeks ago for my 3rd time.

I tried two new places this time....Half Shell Raw Bar and Santiago's Bodega.

The Half Shell had THE BEST raw oysters I have ever had in my life. I'm salivating now just thinking about them!! The fried shrimp was really good, too.

We loved Santiago's so much that we went twice. It's a small place, and the bar area is tiny...but they have fantastic tapas and wine. (I highly recommend the red sangria).

Have a great trip! (oops, I got so excited about the Half Shell that I just realized you already had it on your list :)

Vicky

Edited: 19 October 2010, 20:14
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
449 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

Try the Tower Bar at Turtle Kraals. Great view, great happy hour food.

www.turtlekraals.com/page11/page11.html

Dante's (also at the Wharf) is also a cool spot to eat at the bar and people watch. Plus there is a large pool there that you can use if you buy food or drink.

http://www.dantes-keywest.com/

Enjoy!

New Hyde Park, New...
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

You're just a quick walk down Caroline to Pepe's

http://pepescafe.net/

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

Eating at the bar at La Trattoria is a blast! Fabulous martinis, a mix of locals and tourists and fine food. Never a dull moment. Often difficult to get a seat there as well.

The bar at LaTeDa is fabulous for people watching any afternoon and a great spot for lunch. We don't usually have dinner there, so can't comment on that.

I've also had a great meal at the bar @ 915 --- tuna dome, whole snapper. yum.

All these are a bit different from the places you mentioned, but all have a great vibe and equally great food if you're ready to really branch out.

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

I wanted to add that while these are more what some would consider "fine dining", dinner at the bar at any of these is casual and tons of fun.

MN
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

These are great ideas! Thanks all! Keep them coming...I'm going to have to stay more than a weekend sometime!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
572 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

Alonzo's Oyster Bar, large selection of half price appetizers during their happy hour.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

The Bar at The Sunset Pier (ocean key house) has an awesome view and good food. We also like to people watch while eating at Caroline's on Duval.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

Southernmost Beach Cafe has a nice ocean side bar, and ok bar food. Nothing fancy here.

Harpoon Harry's is a good place to get an inexpensive basic breakfast

Pepe's Cafe has great food and outdoor seating.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New restaurant ideas needed!

Simkeith is a dope - not because of his recommendation, just because. ;-)

Try BO's Fish Market. Great fish sammies.

Off the island - Hog Fish Bar and Grill, Geiger Key Marina, Mangrove Mamas is a neat spot right at MM 20. Square Grouper, I don't remember the MM but they have good food.

A little further up US 1 Boondocks has a wasabli - panko encrusted tuna appy that is reaalllllllllllllllllllly good.

Try a bike this year instead of a scooter. MUCH more relaxing, easier to park, get off at a bar when you want...