We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my digital camera be ok to go throught the xray machine

maryland
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Will my digital camera be ok to go throught the xray machine

at the airport. Should I take out the film?

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Will my digital camera be ok to go throught the xray machine

Film?

If it is digital it doesn't have film. If it is a camera that uses film check here tsa.gov/travelers/…editorial_1035.shtm

Edited: 25 October 2010, 18:26
Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will my digital camera be ok to go throught the xray machine

Digital cameras are fine. Film less than 800 speed is also fine going through an X-ray. You have the right for "hand inspection" of your film. Just ask at security.

OK - just looked at Xaos' post. Sorry to repeat. We've never had trouble with either film or digital.

Edited: 25 October 2010, 18:32
maryland
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Will my digital camera be ok to go throught the xray machine

I am sorry my age is showing its not film its a disk you put in the camera. thanks

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will my digital camera be ok to go throught the xray machine

We've never had a problem either, however after our last trip I'd like to warn about a different problem. When I checked in for our flight from Chicago to KW last spring American offered for $120 to move us to first class. We had two center seats in coach so I took the offer. One of the perks was our checked bags would be free so I checked the bag I was going to carry on mainly because I didn't want to pay to have it checked. The decision was made quickly and the bags handed over to American quickly without much thought.

What I didn't think about was my digital camera was lying on top of other things that I had originally intended to carry. Needless to say the softsided duffle type bag was buried in the cargo hold and the mini tv screen on the camera was crushed. It was my problem and American took no responsibility, and I'm not saying they should have but it would have been nice.

Edited: 25 October 2010, 18:54
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will my digital camera be ok to go throught the xray machine

Sorry, Rono..that stinks! I would think that the airline would be responsible for damage, but I guess it would be impossible to prove it wasn't broken to begin with.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will my digital camera be ok to go throught the xray machine

yes, that's a big thing to remember, with the overhead luggage compartments filling up early on many flights.

So many folks try to cram everything in a carry-on (to avoid the fees on checked bags) and sometimes they end up having to leave the bag outside so the crew can stow them with the luggage. You avoid the fee but your bags can take a beating.

Anyway, just be sure to bring a BIG memory card, or extra discs, for your trip! No worries with the metal detectors.

7. Re: Will my digital camera be ok to go throught the xray machine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2011, 05:16