We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

We flew in to MIA on 10/23. Landed about 4:30. This was the first time we flew into MIA on Delta - it's been a few years. The terminal is great, new, nice, jumped on the rental shuttle and got dropped off no problems. The new shuttles pick up everyone. No longer a National shuttle and a Thrifty shuttle. Once we got dropped off, we found Thrifty, grabbed the car and were on our way.

We were going to meet a TA'er at Gilberts for a soda and a bite to eat, but their flight was cancelled, not delayed - cancelled.

OK - on to KCB. Got there about 7:00, headed to Sparky's for a drink and a bite to eat. Went shopping for food and called it a night.

Sunday and Monday were do nothing days. Tuesday was kind of yucky, so we jumped in the car and headed to KW (I needed flip flops, some Island Joes Coffee, and something else I was sure). We didn't hang around long, just wasting a day ;-)

Wednesday, Thursday were more of the same as Sunday and Monday.

Friday we headed to KW for the locals parade. Had lunch with some friends and a guy that writes a KW blog. It was fun to meet him and see Ted and Sue again. Traffic down was slow, but steady. We were going to stay with friends in KW, and by the time we found their house (not to mention a place to park) it was too late to get to the group with Seabus. We were given some patchwork costumes, grabbed a beer and began the walk to the Cemetary where it started.

We never did catch up with Seabus' group. At one point sugartit said that they were ahead of us, but when we saw Keylimey, she said she hadn't seen Seabus' group. Don't know if we passed them, don't' know if they took a different route. The parade was fun fun fun. LOTS of people, costumes, beads, cameras, drinks, sun, and did I mention fun?

After the parade we went to a home and relaxed, headed back to our friends home, changed and went to Orchid Key and then to Grand Vin. Had pizza about 11:00 and was asleep around midnight.

Got up, had coffee, and drove back to KCB.

Saturday was low key, spent the day at the Cabana Club again. Sunday was a travel day. long slow steady drive back up the keys to America. We were worried that the traffic was going to be holiday weekend bad. It was slow, but not too bad.

We ate at Alabama Jacks on the way out. The place was FULL OF NUMBSKULLS. I've never seen so many kids running around screaming, parents oblivious. I normally HATE leaving AJ's. This time I couldn't get out fast enough.

All in all, a good trip, too short (aren't they all too short?), nice weather for the most part. A little windy, but WAAAY better than in MN.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

The only thing you missed in MN was rain and wind. Too bad you didn't find Seabus. Glad you had a good time. Next year, I'll sneak into your luggage, and show you how to maintain a .16 BAL for your WHOLE trip. hehheehe

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Sorry I missed ya. Wanted to catch up. Glad you had a good time still. hee

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

the pics are priceless

the singing voicemail was too...thanks !!!

wherever you 2 go good times are right behind:)

North of Boston
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

KCB ...Key Colony Beach in Marathon?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

Yes, Key Colony Beach. It's a city next to the city of Marathon.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report

Sorry - It (KCB) makes sense to me, but then I wrote it ;-)

One more thing. I finally got to meet Arnie. She is a hoot. I don't know about you guys, but I get a mental image of folks on the board. I have a picture in my minds eye of what you all look like.

Well - I missed by a mile with Arnie. In my minds eye, I had expected an older, quiet, reserved lady. What I met was a sassy, firey, red-head. Ready to party, and don't get between her and the wine at Grand Vin or you could get trampled.

Cedar Rapids, IA
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report

Are you kidding me?? All this time I thought Arnie was a male. So I was trying to understand "his" perspective on posting as a gay male.

That has to be the most off perception so far.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report

Good times...

Thanks.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report

"Well - I missed by a mile with Arnie. In my minds eye, I had expected an older, quiet, reserved lady. What I met was a sassy, firey, red-head. Ready to party, and don't get between her and the wine at Grand Vin or you could get trampled."

Wow! did you ever get her wrong. Reserve and Arnie don't go together unless you are talking about some sort of special reserve wine.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report

Sounds like a great trip! Glad you got to meet Arnie and thanks for the report! :)