We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

michigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

My husband and I will be driving from Orlando to Key West.

He is disabled and needs to stop about every two hours or so.

Would we be better off to try to drive the back roads or get on the toll road? Also, if we are paying cash only for tolls is there a way to avoid these roads that charge tolls but do not have people in the toll booths?

Thanks!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

Get on the Turnpike and head to FL City where you'll get on US1 at the end of the Turnpike (Do not get on US1 before this). Pay the tolls - it's the easiest way and the quickest way to KW.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,066 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

And there are plenty of service areas to stop when he needs to.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

I agree with above. I've made that drive several times in the last year and a half. All the toll booths were staffed, only certain exits don't allow cash and you shouldn't need to exit on them. In Orlando you'll pick up a ticket and there's a long stretch to the next toll booth where you pay. Then the tolls are a $1 at each booth and I think there are six booths around Miami till it ends. There are a few oais's along the way where they have food, gas, coffee, restrooms etc. They will be in the median so you would exit from the left lane. I recommend using these and not exiting the turnpike till it ends in Florida City.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_paytoll.cfm

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

If he needs to stop every 2 hours you might be taking a chance using the Turnpike. The Service Plazas on it are few. Take I-95 and time it so you don't go through the Miami area during afternoon rush hour. Try to get past Miami by 3 pm.

Edited: 22 December 2010, 16:04
michigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

Thanks to everyone who answered both my inquiries! I didn't realize the one had printed when I sent the other one! We will take the toll road as advised!

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

susie,

the stops on the turnpike are frequent, every 40 miles or so. Don't be confused by one post and don't take 95, ever! After the turnpike, US is a very local route, lots of places to stop as you island hop.

Key West
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

Take the Turnpike!!!! No questions about it. We has some house guests that took 95 down, long story short, it took them probably about 6 hours longer then it should have coming 95 instead of the turnpike. (traffic, getting lost on 95 and such)

I thought the service plazas were fairly close together but the other post got me thinking so I looked it up. They are just about every 40 miles

floridasturnpike.com/tools_serviceplazas.cfm

Fish hard,

Bonez

9. Re: Easiest way to get from Orlando to Key West in personal car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2011, 05:56
Get answers to your questions about Key West