We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

Hi guys,

sailing on my very first cruise in 13 days! Key West is the 1st port and I have a very small amount of time there (7:30am - 2:00pm). Was going to book a 4 hour snorkeling excursion (still cant decide if the water will be comfortable enough to swim in, I hear water temps are in the 60s now, too cold for me) so really I'll only have about 2 hours to explore Key West.

I fell in love with conch at the Conch Shack in Turks and Caicos and was hoping to find an equally awesome place in Key West to have some cracked conch and rum punch. Where is your favorite place to go and please keep in mind I need to stay close to the port to catch my ship.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give!

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

Others will disagree but I'd say to go to Conch Republic seafood along the bight. They serve Cracked Conch there and I really enjoyed it.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,817 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

Most of the cruise ship passengeers sign up for a snorkeling trip with the Fury organization. They have two large catamarans right at the cruise ships docks and are a little less expensive than the others, partly because they can take so many people. But about a 10 minute walk away is the Sebago catamaran. It's a little smaller and gets less crowded, and I prefer her. She and the Fury will generally go to the same places, somewhere at the reef, Sand Key or Eastern Dry Rocks, for example, and you can rent a shorty wetsuit on the Sebago trip for $10.00. (I'm just not sure about the Fury)

And when you are done you will come back to the Key West Bight where you can check the menus at at least the Conch Republic Seafood Co. Alonzos, or the Half Shell for you cracked conch.

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,109 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

I guess they serve cracked conch on the Fury. who knew.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,817 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

Doubful but they do snorkel which is 1/2 of what the poster was asking about. No?

Pjk

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

hi guys,

thanks so much for the quick response.. yes im interested in any advice you can give me on key west so i'll welcome all suggestions on where to dine on excellent cracked conch and hey if you know of a better/cheaper excursion trip than what Carnival is offering im up for that too!

Pjk Carnival is offering an excursion called "The Big 3" which includes a cruise along the wildlife sanctuary off Key West, kayaking and snorkeling as well as cruise to the "Dolphin Playground." It doesnt say who offers this excursion but I'll look at Fury's website to see what they have.. i used Fury for a catamaran trip in Cozumel a few years ago and was very happy with them so hopefully ill have good luck with them again.. really all i want to do is see some wild dolphins =D

thanks again for the advice, keep them coming!

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

I'm with flat top CRS cracked conch rocks!!! If it be me and it was my first time to KW i'd totally skip the snorkeling and try to see the island a bit, again that's just my opinion!!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,631 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

How bad do you want the BEST conch in the KEYS?

Skip the snorkeling, rent a car, drive up to Marathon to the Cracked Conch. They are always on the top of the list in best conch places in the keys.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
579 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

As far a rum punch goes, my vote is for the Pirate's Punch at Captain Tonys. For me, a trip to KW without visiting there would be a cryin' shame!! It's not very far away from the cruise ships either!!

Sue

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,631 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

You've got 4 hours in KW. I don't know what other stops your ship has, but I'd bet that there are spots to snorkel at the next stop.

Most cruise ship ports that I've seen cater to the ships. Once the ships leave, the port shuts down. Not so with KW. There is SO much to do and see, skip the ship excursions and do the local thing.

take your cruise ship sticker off and walk around Old Town (not Duval, the residential area), rent a bike and bike the island, grab a beer at the Green Parrot, have a sandwich at BO's Fish Market. Take Lloyd's Bike tour, step outside the cruise ship tourist stereotype - box cutter excursion and have a great time.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 hours in the Keys - where can I find the best conch??

I have to agree with buffetguy having been on those cruises multiple times, the other ports have very little to offer in the way of charm. Enjoy KW for what it has and snorkle elsewhere.

P.S. you know the conch isn't local here right? It's illegal to harvest conch in the keys. we import it. I still enjoy it though.

Get answers to your questions about Key West