We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing of booking flights

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
338 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Timing of booking flights

Hey everyone. Thanks for the great info so far for our anniversary trip. We're moving from the "penciling in" stage to using a pen and getting things in place. I started looking at air fares the last couple of weeks and then again today and noticed a jump in pricing.

As was suggested to us, we're going to fly into Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Stay over probably in Key Largo and then do the drive (one time) to Key West but fly home from Key West.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best time to look for competitive air fares? We're looking to travel May 6th to the 14th. I know airline pricing can be all over the board but was wondering if maybe it'll get better in mid to late February or early March?

Thanks again.

Reid

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
579 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing of booking flights

I don't know what the "BEST" time would be but I've already purchased my tickets for my May trip to KW. Try American Airlines, they had the best prices at the time. Good luck.

Sue

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,393 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing of booking flights

Prior to a few years ago I would watch flights on Orbitz to get an idea of what the cost was for a round-trip from EWR to EYW on various carriers . It would vary almost from day-to-day and if it ever dipped below $400.00, I would generally book it. (I, too, already have a flight scheduled for May, '11. $400.15) But the last few years I didn't notice prices rising and falling very much, if at all. They would stay at one level for maybe a week, then go up $20.00, never coming down again. And now I'm hearing that the airlines are raising prices, and the cost of fuel makes me worry.

IMO watch for a week or two to see if you can find a trend, but if you hit something that you think is reasonable, book it and forget about it.

hth

Pjk

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing of booking flights

I don't know how or even if it will affect flying into EYW, but Southwest is buying out Airtran this spring, and they fly in and out on a limited basis.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing of booking flights

American Airlines no longer sells tickets through Orbitz. I think that this is going to start a trend where airlines will no longer sell tickets through internet travel agencies (or at least certain ones). Most airlines have "lowest fare guarantee" on their own website. I typically use the large portals like Travelocity and Expedia for comparison, but almost always purchase directly from the airline. There are a few search engines like Kayak, that does a really good job hunting out the best fares.

southeast PA
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing of booking flights

we're flying AirTran in 3 weeks into EYW. hmmm, will southwest keep flying into Key West too? that would make us happy.

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timing of booking flights

I have no idea, but I hope so. I manage about 4 free RTs on Southwest a year, so here's hoping I can someday make it all the way to the rock.

babylon
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Timing of booking flights

unless you're locked into those dates, you might want to consider alternate dates....you can often fly cheaper on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday....for example, I bought tickets for a trip in January about two weeks ago; leaving on Friday or Saturday, the fare was about $700, but I bought at $291RT (EWR/EYW) for a Thursday to Tuesday....

try www.farecompare.com...they'll show you the cheapest daily flights for any given month so you can pick and choose.....

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timing of booking flights

Try this one

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

ITA Software is used by some of the world's most successful travel companies, including American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Continental Airlines, Bing, Kayak, and Orbitz.

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timing of booking flights

We bought our tickets in September for our trip next May. I would just keep checking everyday.

One day the flights were close to $1500.00 for 2 people, next day it was $650 then day after up to $800.00. When I saw $490.00 I jumped on it. If I remember correctly I think it was a Tuesday when the fairs dropped.

Oh, and I got the tickets directly from American Airlines.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timing of booking flights

I would also like to add, that I saw something on google news that mentioned Expedia is going to make it harder to find prices for AA. I am not sure how this is possible. It might be time consuming, but I would check what airlines land in either airport. Not all airlines are on expedia, travelocity, etc...