We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

Hey everyone, this forum was a great help for us when planning our trip. Thanks for the great advice! We've been staying in the Truman annex with our two kids under 7 and it is beautiful!!! The grounds are lovely, it is quiet (except for the crack of dawn roosters) and so close that we have walked everywhere. Today we will actually drive to Higgs Beach, but other than that we have walked from southernmost point to Mallory Square. We've done the acquarium, shipwreck museum, Hemingway House (big hit with our cat loving family), butterfly garden and the Mallory Square sunset shows. The kids have loved everything!!! Obviously night time is not for kids, and many restaurants don't have kid's menus, but our kids are flexible.

Thanks to this forum we have had many yummy meals at La Creperie, Blue Heaven, Columbia Grace, Sloppy Joe's, Southernmost cafe and still to go to are Mangia Manga and Blackfin on our last two nights.

Overall, we have loved Key West, despite the cold temps. We love being able to walk, shop and eat and they sure have all that here!!!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

ah, sounds like a lovely trip to me!

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

jvclute,

enjoy this sunny day and tomorrow. Finally!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
579 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

Thanks for the report!! Sounds like you're having a great time!!!

Sue

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

Sounds great! Thanks for posting.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
659 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

Our next trip is going to be with kids and I know they are going to love it! Thanks for the report!

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
502 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

Thanks for the report. People are often critical of famillies being in Key West. Your report demonstrates that Key West really can be a destination for grown-ups, couples, and families alike... When we used to live in Miami, we enjoyed great weekend trips, with my then 4 year old son. Glad you are enjoying your trip!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

I'm always happy to hear from families who bring the kids down to the keys. Of Course Key West is a great place for children. There is plenty to see and do that does not involve bars and drinking. Your trip report is a great example. I also like the Truman Annex a lot. It's a clean and quiet location near just about anything a tourist would want.

Iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

Thank you for your report!

We are planning a trip with 2 kids under 7 as well and I am interested in hearing how you found a place to stay. Did you rent a home? It's overwhelming to look at all of the rentals. We haven't ever stayed in Key West and I'm not sure what to look for in a place to stay. There isn't a lot of info out there for families.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

We rented a condo through a rental company ( we found it on vrbo.com) in the Truman annex. It was 2 br, one bath, small kitchen and dining/family room and a beautiful patio out back. This whole development is beautiful and my kids loved looking out for the resident cats. It was in the perfect location too- my kids have energy and they can walk! We walked all the way down to the southernmost point (with stops at Hemingway house and butterfly garden) and we walked many times all the way down to Mallory Square (it is shorter if you walk through the truman annex rather than down Duval). We only used our car to get groceries and the one day when we drove to Higgs and Smathers beaches. You can also just walk to Fort Zachary taylor beach. We used the pool at the Truman annex as welll one day which is nicely heated to 86 degrees :)

It was great to eat most of our breakfast meals at the condo- which is a help because food is expensive in Key West and many places do not have kid's meals. I shutter to think of the credit card bill will we get for our week of eating out. It was all worth it though, we went to some great restaurants and enjoyed every meal!

You can email me privately if you have any other questions!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,769 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great week with our kids, sort of a trip report

If you use VRBO, just be sure the place has a valid Transient License. Ask for that in writing. Renting a place without one can put your trip at risk.

If not, use one of the many agencies that specialize in Truman Annex like Compass realty.

http://www.compass-realty.com/