We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

We are planning our first trip to KW. I started just reading reviews, looking at the maps and reading the threads. I am more confused than ever. Since we love to party and are devoted Blues music fans, I have been told we want to be near Duvall Street in Old Town. Are all the hotels and B&Bs in that area within walking distance? Since we may fly to MIA or FLL and drive down, would be good to know the parking implications of each choice too. I am going to apologize in advance if you are all sick of this same question over and over.

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

We love the Eden House. Check out their website and the TA reviews. A relaxing inn within walking distance of Duval St. and numerous bars and restaurants. We rent bicycles from them during our visits.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

No matter where you stay I would recommend renting a car one way and droping it off when you arrive in KW.

If you are fit & healthy you do not need a car - biking or walking is the best way to see Key West.

We have always enjoyed staying in Cypress House. Good location and great Happy Hour every evening where you can mingle with lots of guests from all over the world!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

We loved Rose Lane Villas and will definately stay there again. They are located on an alley behind the Hard Rock Cafe but far enough off Duval to be noise free aside from the chickens. They also have 1 parking space per rental unit if you choose to keep your car during your stay. Once it's parked you really shouldn't need to move it during your stay unless you want to roam up the Keys to Bahia Honda or something.

Finally, they have a really nice pool, much larger than I would have expected for the location and size of the property.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

Hey , I guess step 1 would be to choose between a hotel or a B&B , budget, and your neccesities. For me I think hotel wise Ocean Key #1, followed closely by Pier House both their locations can not be beat (right on the water in the heart of the action but when staying there you will feel miles away from the duval madness (Instead of madness I should have said the awesome times).Any hotel or B&B is in walking distance (basically KW is a 2X4 island). Yeah ditch the car 2 simple reasons 1 you don't need it and 2 parking is a bear!!Blues------ check out the Green Parrott. If you have any questions just post em those on this forum are so well versed on KW you will get any answer to any question!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,418 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

I don't know which the best is, but I'll tell you why I stay at the Pier House:

1. location. It's at 1 Duval Street which means I can walk out the door and be on Duval Street, and I am 5 minutes from the Key West Bight for happy hours in one direction and 5 minutes to the sunset celabration in the other.

And there is the tiki bar and sunset pier right across the street.

2. the Chart Room Bar. The *famous* Chart Room Bar.

3. There is free, guarded parking which also mans that if you rent bikes for a week, there is also a place to lock them up which is in the guarded lot.

4. There is a nice beach, the beach-side bar, a piano bar for late-night, a hot tub, and palm trees. And live music on the weekends - Bongo D. and his steel drums. You can use all the amenities 24/7.

5. While there are ocean-view rooms, I like a nice, 2nd floor garden view room which is less expensive, with either a king or two queen-sized beds.

6. And there is a small topless beach just off the main beach.

This is the pool area from one of the garden view rooms

…smugmug.com/Travel/…114263725_8J6bh-S.jpg

This is where I sit in the mornings and read...

…smugmug.com/Travel/…302305164_SNqDC-S.jpg

And this is the beach area

…smugmug.com/Travel/…306536209_tqFWR-S.jpg

…smugmug.com/Travel/…306542752_xgo4T-S.jpg

Maybe it is the best.

hth

Pjk

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

Thanks so much, I loved the pics. If Pier House is not the best, it sure looks like it must be in the running. I think we could not go wrong there.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

We need more info! How many people? Do you want a kitchen? Pool? Bar at hotel? Do you want to see the water? Budget? If more than two people do you require separate sleeping areas? It's hard to make a recomentdatiion without all the info

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

Here is the scoop on our trip. We are planning to meet another couple there, (friends we met in Cancun). None of us has been to KW before. DH and I are in our 50s, friends in their 40s. We all like to drink, party and LOVE blues music. Being near the water would be a plus, but not being right on it is not a deal breaker. Definitely want a nice pool. We will probably fly in to either MIA or FLL and drive down and drop a car. I am assuming we will be able to reserve another car to drop at MIA or FLL. We want to be able to walk to where the action is. If we want to go further, taxis should meet our needs. Bar at the hotel. (pool), would be great. If not, and we have a place close to buy beer or something for a cooler, we could live with that too. I don't think we require an onsite restaurant, but in room coffee would be GREAT. If not, would at least need a close by place to get coffee early in the morning. This is a trip we have talked about for awhile, so budget is less important than it being the right place. Not that we mind a good price, it is just that we are willing to pay for what we want. We go to New Orleans 3-4 times a year and Cancun at least once a year. My son and daughter in law told us KW is like the best of both, so we are pretty jazzed to visit.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

If budget isn't an issue, then do go to one of the resort hotels like Pier House.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,418 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very confused newbie. What is best hotel in Old Town and why

To get alittle ahead, almost no matter where you stay in Key West there is a coffee shop nearby, especially a few good Cuban coffee shops (Ana's Cuban Deli, e.g) and places to stock up on beer and wine and soda and snacks in case you need them. (A CVS and Walgreens on Duval, e.g.)

And at the tiki bar at the Ocean Key Resort, 0 Duval, there is a blues singer most weekends and it's a great place to sit overlooking the ocean and watching the sunset and having a drink, maybe dancing. And starting in late May they should start up their shrimp steaming on Tuesday nights - fresh steamed shrimp, corn, slaw, and cheap drinks (e.g., a bucket of Landsharks). They haul the shrimp right off a small boat and steam 'em there.

And Caffein Carl and the Buzz plays some blues, here there and everywhere, it seems, in Key West. Listen for what sounds like Paul Butterfield playing the harmonica. That's Alabama Gil in Carl's group.

I think you're gonna like Key West.

Pjk