We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for day trips/activities

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
IN
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for day trips/activities

I am traveling to Key West for the first time and could use some suggestions on possible actitivies.

I would like to snorkel-any suggestions on best/safest tour co fr this and best location?

Considering Baha Honda and day trip to Dry Tortugas---any input?? Worth the trip?

What arethe must sees?

Thanks!

Kristy

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

Depending upon the weather and winds, the Dry Tortugas are a nice way to spend a day.

Bahia Honda is also a wonderful day trip.

As far as "must sees" . Do you mean in Key West or up the keys? What is your definition of a "must see"? There are churches, and bars, and gardens and bike tours and walking around doing nothing. There are ghost tours, and the cemetery, there is always just renting a bike and seeing what you can see on your own. There are museums and historic homes. parks and beaches, and forts and ....

Miami
Level Contributor
783 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

A trip to the Dry Tortuga's would rate very high on my list for snorkeling. There are two ways to get there and both are listed on the park's website. www.nps.gov/drto/planyourvisit/directions.htm

You might also consider John Pennekamp State Park and Looe Key as well.

Activities are plentiful and driven by your personal interests. Here is a place to start. http://www.keywest.com/todo.html

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

I would also put a vote in for the Dry Tortugas. I did the whole day trip via boat and it wasn't enough time (course, there is never enough time to do everything I want whenever I go to KW).

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,159 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

Consider two, all-day, water-related trips (all-day is approx 9:30 a.m. boarding - 4:00 / 4:30 return)

The Sebago Island T'Ing

http://www.keywestsebago.com/islandting.php

Or a similar trip with Danger Charters

http://www.dangercharters.com/

These give you a snorkeling stop, a nice lunch on the boat, and then a guided kayak paddle around a mangrove island. Sebago includes breakfast and is slightly less expensive. Both limit the number of people they take (40 for Sebago and 20 for Danger) And Sebago usualy has a deal where you get a free sunset sail if you book this trip or their Power Adventure.

And depending on when you are going thee is a very nice afternoon snorkel / sunset sail run by Sebago but on a smaller catamaran, the Idylwild.

Finally you might want to try stand-up paddleboarding...

www.supkeywest.com/SUP_Key_West/Home.html

hth

Pjk

IN
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

Thank you! Definately going to Dry Tortugas and Danger tour! Will check them out.

Kristy

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

When are you going to be in Key West. Summer months are much better for snorkeling than winter months - IN GENERAL. Summer normally has less wind, better visibility.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

and warmer water!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,159 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

IMO If you do Dangeer, the all-day trip, at approx $25.00 more, is a better value. You get lunch and since the all day boat doesn't have to get back for another trip, they will stay out longer, especially if the conditions are good after kayaking. It's a great day out on the water...

Boarding (that's Captain Dennis in the stern with his signature straw hat)

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Heading out (That's the infamous Mike Mongo chatting with Dennis)

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Getting ready to kayak

…shutterfly.com/media/…

You get the idea.

Pjk

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

Does anyone offer a kayaking trip in the flats on the Gulf side? I did the mangroves which are cool but I would love to see the sponges & fish from a kayak again, better than snorkeling for me.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,159 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for day trips/activities

One day out there I looked out and saw two people paddling while sitting in a hole in the water. Would I lie? It was part of a tour with these people

http://clearlyuniquecharters.com/

...and I imagin the view straight down is pretty good. I think they occassionally go out to the flats. Look at the "Create Your Own Adventure" tab.

Pjk

Edited: 07 January 2011, 21:07