We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KW Itinerary... help?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
423 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
KW Itinerary... help?

As I've posted before, we're going to Key West next week for the first time. I'm attending the Key West Literary Seminar, and I will be there from 10-1:00 Monday-Thursday. We want to make the most of our time. Our priorities: water and food.

We're staying at Southernmost on the Beach, and we've rented a car. Aside from the trip to Bahai, I'm not so sure what we'll do with the care for an entire week.

From where we're staying, will walking to dinner be reasonable? Any advice would be much aprpeciated!

Also, should we even attempt to get in the water in January?

Saturday: check-in, low-key dinner on Duval

Sunday: stone crab claws at Fishbusterz on Stock Island, drive to Bahai Honda State Park (snorkeling?), dinner at Southernmost Beach Café at 8:00

Monday: Conch Tour Train at 3:00, dinner at The Flaming Buoy (1100 Packer St.) at 9:00

Tuesday: Boat charter on Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon, dinner at Nine One Five (915 Duval St.) at 8:30

Wednesday:

Thursday: beach/pool in the afternoon, dinner at Café Marquesa at 9:00

Friday: brunch at Blue Heaven, beach day at Fort Zachary

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

1) Ditch the car except for the trip to Bahia Honda. maybe continue up US 1 and drive over the 7 miles bridge. You're gonna be real close when you are at Bahia Honda.

2) Get rid of the itinerary - especially with the times. It makes me shudder to see someone with an itinerary, much less with times attached to an itinerary.

3) The water will be chilly. If you're going to get into the water for a snorkel trip, plan to have at least a shorty wetsuit.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,608 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

For a low-Key-West dinner on Sat you can walk the 4 blocks to the Banana Cafe or cross the street and check the menu at Croissants de France. They are so close to each other that you can read both menus outside and decide. There is also the Black Fin Bistro but I didn't care for my (one) dinner there.

For Wedneaday you might want to do a Sebago or Danger snorkel / kayak trip. Snorkeling will be chilly but Danger provides shorties for free and Sebago will rent them to you. And if you can't spend a lot of time snorkeling, there is still the kayaking and lunch (and breakfast on the Sebago.

Other alternatives are to do a kayak-only trip with either Blue Planet or Lazy Dog. One or both of these even does a sunset kayak.

And there is stand-up paddleboarding...

www.supkeywest.com/SUP_Key_West/Home.html

hth

Pjk

St. Louis
Level Contributor
923 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

You can't do 'timed' itinerairies in Key West. There are no clocks and for some reason or another, the minute you pass over Stock Island into Key West, your watch will stop.............

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
423 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

Haha. Thanks for all the advice, but gimme a break, guys. I only have times for dinner and one train tour! I'm not usually a by-the-clock kinda vacationer. Though, I do come from the big city, and we have to make dinner reservations if we want to eat around here.

In all honestly, I was worried that--with the KWLS focusing on food writing this year and with tons of food writers in town--restaurants may be crowded.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

Eat when you're hungry

Drink when you're thirsty

Nap when you're tired

Never trust a fart . . . . . .

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

I think you have reasonable plans and have picked good places for dinners. Personally, I would skip Brunch at Blue Heaven and have brunch at Azur or Sarabeths, but Blue Heaven does have good food. Just massive crowds of tourists and no reservations.

Also, be sure you ask Fishbusterz to crack the stone crab claws for you and buy the dipping sauce. It will make them much easier to eat at the beach.

I don't think the week will be exceptionally busy, but I would make reservations just to be sure.

Southernmost is an easy walk to all the plans you have.

Finally, many tourists swim even in January. It really depends on your tolerance for chilly water.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 22:01
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
423 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

Why thank you for that, buffetguy. I can't imagine why you're not going to the Key West Literary Seminar. :)

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

I KNOW!

I should put on the poetry portion of the seminar. Can you get that going for next year?

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

Good choices emile,

you do need reservations for prime time dining at Marquesa, Santiagos and 915. I would truly skip Flaming Buoy for Santiagos or Blackfin or Banana Cafe or Columbian Grace. i know, I know, it gets great reviews but we are serious foodies, eat our way thru chicago whenever we have the chance, and I think you will be disappointed by the only adequate and uninspired food at flaming buoy.

Blue Heaven if you really want that experience. Don't waste your breakfast at the beachside restaurant near your hotel though SDT offered some great alternatives.

The literary week draws mega people similar to you so planning is a must.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
423 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KW Itinerary... help?

Thanks, JDJN.

I'll take your advice and cancel the Flaming Buoy reservation. Of the 4 you mentioned, what would be the best replacement? We're serious foodies, too! :)

I want to ditch the car, but I'm nervous. Here are my questions:

1. Will we have a hard time finding a cab to take us to and from the airport?

2. Will we be able to easily rent a car for just 1 day to make the trip to Bahai?

3. My daily workshop is at the San Carlos Institute, 516 Duval St. How far is that from the Southernmost on the Beach? A reasonable morning walk?

4. Finally, is there a place to rent scooters for the week? Any good recs?

Thanks, again, for all of the help!