We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

Lafayette, IN
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

DH and I are headed to Key West in 8 short weeks for an 11 day stay. I am looking at things to do and thought that the Yankee Freedom day trip to Dry Tortugas looked like fun. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you think? I'm thinking we'll wait to book until closer to our trip so we have a good weather day. Any discounts available? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
95 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
109 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
394 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,213 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

I enjoyed exploring around the fort at the Dry Tortugas and swimming and snorkeling out there, but didn't enjoy the trip a lot. The 2 hour trip out wasn't too bad because you have the excitement of going, but the 2 hour trip back seemed to last forever and I just wanted it to end.

Eight weeks puts you into March so you can wait until you get there and then check the weather to try for the best day possible. And I've never seen a discount for this trip or the seaplane out there.

hth

Pjk

Lafayette, IN
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

Thanks pjk :-). I'm sure that the two hour trip back won't be nearly as exciting as the ride over in the morning.

I do plan on waiting till closer to the trip to book, maybe even waiting until we get there.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 19:12
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

I agree about waiting to see about the weather. It is a great place to visit if you can do it.

The ride is long and the water can be choppy. Take motion sickness pills unless you have good sea legs.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

I've taken this trip a number of times. Like others said watch the weather. If the winds are blowing hard, the seas will be high, and the ride can get very rough during the last hour of the trip out. The boat is very nice with both an upstairs sundeck, and an air conditioned lower deck. If you are prone to getting motion sickness, don't drink too much the night before, take a Dramamine before bed, and another when you get on the ship in the morning, and don't gorge yourself on the continental breakfast. Sitting outside also helps. On the ride back in the afternoon, there is a cash bar with very reasonably priced drinks and snacks.

Once on the island, you get a great tour of the fort followed by a nice picnic lunch. Then the time is yours to swim, snorkel or explore the fort. It's a great day trip but long.

I've never seen discounts for this trip.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

We have done this twice. Had a great time both ways. On the way back there is a bar available and we had a few beers and talked with other people and watched the scenery out on the water. While at the Fort we snorkeled explored and did the tour. It is a great time. I highly recommend it.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

Yes to checking on the weather. When we did this, the last leg of the ride was really choppy. All in all, once we left and there was nothing to see but wide open ocean, it was a tad boring. It didn't pick up again until we started seeing land again.

kwwrecker
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

I now call it the Dry Heave Tortugas. As others have said watch the weather. I want to go again but I would fly. The boat is very nice but even on a calm day once you get in the gulf stream it can be tough.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

I have taken this trip more than three times with various family members and friends spring and winter. I guess we are lucky because none of us ever got seasick even though the winter crossing was a little rough. Boredom doesn't ever play into it because being on the water makes us all sleepy and relaxed. Its definitely a here only kind of trip so I do think its worthwhile of you're willing to devote a full day to it.

Lafayette, IN
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

Thanks everyone for all your responses. We wanted to do this on our last trip to Key West and ran out of time.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone use Yankee Freedom for Dry Tortugas trip?

One of our favorite days of any of the trips we have taken was our day at Dry Tortugas we took with our daughter and son-in-law one year. The captain of the Yankee Freedom was a great tour guide for the Fort. And one of the things we enjoyed the most was the ride back because it was a bit rough actually. It felt to us like a great amusement park ride. No seasickness for us even without medication. I do think riding outside in the fresh air helps in that regard, which is what we did. Enjoy!