We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for help....

Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for help....

I am looking to surprise the wife with a 3 or 4 day getaway to Key West. I have been myself a few times with my friends for mostly drinking...and drinking. I had a great time (what I can remember) my last visit which was about 5 years ago! I have only stayed at the Southernmost and Best Western Hibiscus (I think). Nothing real fancy. I'd like to make this trip special and money is not a major concern. I think I'd like to stay at the quieter end of Duval and have been looking at Sothernmost On The Beach, La Mer, Dewey house. The Southernmost has had major renovations since my last visit and I'm sure a lot has changed over the last 5 years. So although I've know the general lay of the land, I'm sure a lot has changed. Can anybody give me some specific room suggestions that will make for a special trip? Whether it be oceanfront, oceanview, specific suites, etc.? I am also looking for some great dining options. I remember going to Blue Heaven, Pepe's, BO's Fish Wagon, etc. I also remember just grabbing a slice of Pizza on Duval while being in a drunken stupor! I have been doing a little research and see that there are a lot of different options out there that I've never seen. Been to a lot of the bars too...The Parrott, Sloppy Joes, Irish Kevins, Schooner Wharf, etc. Any suggestions here would be great too. Also looking for some different things to do that I've seen on the net....graveyard tours, butterfly's, Hemingway's house, etc. I've done Mallory Square, sunset tours, snorkeling, etc. Basically, any help or ideas to help make this trip special would be greatly appreciated. Having visited Key west I do have a basic understanding on a lot of the goings on but I realize it is an everchanging place and it's impossible to know everything about the place. Also, we wanted to go for our 50th birthday's which are at the end of October. Unfortunately, that's during Fantasy Fest which I'm not sure is the best time to give my wife a true feeling for the natural beauty and charm of Key West. So if anybody can suggest another time of year that would be a great time to go, I'm all ears. We can pretty much go any time. Tripadvisor has always been good to me and it's a great community. I'm sure you can all help me out. Thanks, Dave

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,280 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for help....

Just a thought here....

Maybe, show her the natural beauty of the Keys, outside of KW for the FF dates, and then go to KW for the last part of the vacation after FF is over?

Maybe Islamorada or Marathon?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for help....

I second bluewater's advise. The middle keys will be quiet during FF week, as the party people will all be in Key West. The town empties out the day after FF is over, and prices drop also.

Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for help....

I really like that idea but am not sure whether I can get away for more than a few days. That wouldn't leave me much time for key West. It would also involve renting a car which I wasn't planning on doing. But If I could pull it off, do you have any recommendations as to where I should fly into, Miami or Key West......or any lodging recommendations in that area? Thanks for the food for thought....that's why I love this place!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,641 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for help....

Key West during FF isn't really KW.

* During the day there is not much difference, but there is a difference.

* The hotel prices normally go up some during FF. You can find "normal" prices, but they're tougher to find. Later in the week (Thursday - Saturday), many places require a 3 night minimum.

* Fly into either FLL or MIA. We always check out flights to both airports and choose the one that fits our time schedule and price guidelines.

* The drive through the keys is something that everyone should do. I do it 5 - 6 times per year. I love the drive, the water, the birds, the boats, sights, trees, bridges, bars, restaurants, make it a really enjoyable drive.

* If you stay in Marathon, it is a beautiful 1 hour drive to Key West. PERFECT for a day trip to KW.

Don't give up on the the rest of the keys. I can give you 10 really nice spots to stop along the way from FLL or MIA to Marathon. And I can give oyu another 4 - 5 nice spots from Marathon to Key West.

Edited: 15 January 2011, 21:40
arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for help....

Any chance that you'd like to have a late birthday celebration? We normally get to Key West the final day of FF and spend the next couple of weeks there. By that time, things have calmed down considerably and it's a really nice time of year.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for help....

april is wonderful, air tran and american have good rates into kw at least from philly they do. i love the smob but someone else can steer you to specific rooms. it's beautiful. dining is wide open, lots of great options. santiagos bodega for tapas and sangria, martins for sunday brunch, the creperie for lunch or dessert. jet skis, islescapes for a dinner on the water...romantic.

just order in food all day and keep the champagne flowing. now there's a day i need to try.

have a ball

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for help....

Hotels fill up fast for Fantasy Fest and most have minimum nights stay up to 5-7 nights, and prices are double. So if you are set on going then, I would get right on that.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for help....

Hi Canaligator,

I have never been to Key West during FF but reading your original post, I agree with you that you would probably want to go during a different time since it will be the first time that your wife is visiting Key West. I always enjoy May because kids are in school still and it is not yet hurricane season

It's beautiful in May.

I agree with BuffetGuy in that everyone should make the drive from Miami to Key West at least once in their life because it is absolutely beautiful but since you only have 4 days, I would suggest that for this trip you fly directly into Key West. 4 days goes by fast and you will want to have as much time as possible in Key West.

As for making it special, it sounds like you have done alot of the fun things but here are a few suggestions depending on your interests. Obviously you can't do all of these things but these are just a few to consider in your research. For most of them, I have posted reviews from prior trips so if you click on my profile and contributions you can see more detail of my experiences and some pictures too. www.tripadvisor.com/members-reviews/Sunryz710

1. Check out Ft Zachary Beach--- Pack a picnic lunch.. maybe get some food to grill (they have grills there) and spend the day soaking up the rays and beauty of Ft. Zach. http://fortzacharytaylor.com/home.html

2. I know you mentioned you didn't plan on renting a car but my favorite place in the keys is Bahia Honda which is about 30 minutes north of Key West I think. You may want to consider renting a car for a dayto explore. Same things goes for Bahia Honda.. pack a lunch and enjoy! It is a truly gorgeous place. They have an old bridge that you can walk out on where you can view all types of sea life swimming below you.. such as turtles, rays and dolphins. Something to consider although with 4 days perhaps this is for another time. bahiahondapark.com/guests-photo-gallery.cfm

3. Sebago Island T'ing- Catamaran Snorkel trip- A great day trip.. you will really enjoy yourself. http://www.keywestsebago.com/islandting.php

4. Fury Commotion on the Ocean Sunset Cruise- To my knowledge the only susnset sail with music. It is a good time and free flowing drinks too.

furycat.com/key-west/sunset-sailing-music.htm

5. Take the full day trip to the Dry Tortugas.. this is a full day.. but it is really worth it. You can snorkle or chill on the beach.. it is really something to see.

http://drytortugasinfo.com/

6. Have drinks at the Ocean Key on the sunset Pier and watch the sunset. oceankey.com/oceankey_dining_sunsetpier.aspx

7. Not romantic but really fun to check out are Hemmingway House-- You can tour where he lived and wrote books and meet all his kitty descendants!http://hemingwayhome.com/HTML/main_menu.html

8. Again, not romantic but really worth the time is the Harry Truman Little White House .. I found this tour to be very interesting..

http://trumanlittlewhitehouse.com/

9. I know you state that you know the lay of the land, but I really also found taking the trolley tour was very informative. You can jump on and off at several places of interest. It is a really good tour to do on day 1. You can really learn alot about key west and get your bearings. Just a thought.

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/

Last words.. don't plan too much.. perhaps pick one or two things that are a must and then the rest of your time, just explore and let your nose take you where you gain interest. You will have a fabulous time!!

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for help....

Why not go in early to mid October? Prices will be great and weather is usually nice, too.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for help....

I agree with cruisemom. Early to mid October is really nice, and the water is warm!

April and May are nice too, but the water hasn't had time to warm up to really warm. (well for me anyway) I think a trip to Key West isn't complete unless you get out on the water. If you only have a short time, just stay in Key West. A longer visit would give you a chance to visit some of the other Keys.

Limey