We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollinsed House

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
5 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Hollinsed House

We recently stayed at the above noted property. There are a number of individually owned condos in the same house. It is managed by an off site person in Tampa. The plus is the property's location - only a block and half off Duval St. The negative is that the condo in which we stayed was shabby and dirty. The liners under the stove burners had so much food crusted on them, I was afraid to use them. All of the furniture was exceptionally old, uncomfortable,, and one bar stool was very wobbly. The fiberglass shower stall was cracked and peeling, and the shower head offered only a trickle of hot water. The faux wooden blind over the stove had food and grease on it. The queen bed needs to have the mattress replaced. Our unit was #7, called Shangrila. In fairness, other units may be in better shape, for another guest advised me some owners were more conscientious than others.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,734 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollinsed House

joy - can you tell me how you found this place and what made you decide to use it vs. any other place you may have looked at.

Thanks

Pjk

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollinsed House

I've seen those condos online several times when looking for a condo to rent. VRBO is one site, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them on other sites as well. The price has almost tempted me to look into them, but in the end we've always rented in Truman Annex instead. I'm sorry you didn't have a better experience with your rental, but thank you for letting us know about it. Having it managed by someone so far away can't be a good thing unless they spend a lot of time in Key West. Sounds like they haven't been there nearly enough.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollinsed House

Thanks for the warning! Please post this on the review area, too.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
5 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollinsed House

I found it on vrbo.com, a site I have used with great success in the past. The reviews were great, and the replies were from "owner". I assumed the person who replied as owner, was indeed the owner, and I further assumed "the owner" who be consistent in the furnishing of all the units. Obviously, I was wrong, for all of the units are owned by different people, some of whom don't even live in the US according to one of the guests we met. I checked tripadvisor, another site I use and trust, and there was no rating. Hence, I am now sharing with others our experience in the Shangri La Suite. Again, I've only seen our condo and one other, so I really can't comment upon the status of the others.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
5 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollinsed House

I have sent a request to tripadvisor asking that they allow me to review it. Since they have no record of it in their files at the moment, they will let me know whenthey have identified the location, and I can post a review.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hollinsed House

Hollinsed House had it's own web site as little a two years ago. I know the property because it is next door to the MangoTree Inn that we have stayed at a few times. My wife and I have noticed a decline in the property in the last few years. I would agree with the OP's view of the property. This is why we like properties that the Owner or the Management company are located in KW or stay on the property.

PJ

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,734 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hollinsed House

Thanks very much. Your information is helpful to people both in terms of the specific property and in terms of something to be aware of with rentals.

Pjk

Columbus, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Hollinsed House

I wanted to let others know that I saw the Hollinsed House on vrbo.com today Site: http://www.vrbo.com/118424 It looks like any negative comments mentioned, the owners went back to the property to fix anything mentioned or buy & replace things needed. I was actually was impressed to see the owners follow-up on each negative comment made. They don't what's wrong unless they are told.

I'm currently looking online to find a place to stay in Key West at end of March 2011 and I will post a comment if we stay there. It is in our list of possibilites though.

I say "give the Hollinsed House a chance" before looking away from it.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
3 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hollinsed House

We recently stayed at the Poolside Suite condo in the Hollinsed House. We really enjoyed our suite. It was a queen bed with a sitting area, little kitchen and bathroom. Just perfect for what we wanted. Our suite was very clean and modern. We loved the pool area and garden just outside of our suite. It was a very nice location. It was only a block off Duval street, but when you came back to the house it was very quiet and peaceful. We walked all over and it was in a location that was easy to get to the places in Key West most people want to go to. It is close to restaurants and has a grocery store within 2 blocks which we enjoyed getting food and eating back in the suite some. We would stay there again in the suite that we had.

PA
Level Contributor
135 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hollinsed House

My daughters and I stayed in a unit on the second floor in May. We were pleased with the unit. When the air didn't work when we arrived, the owner had it fixed by the next morning. I don't think it was the Shangri-la. The manager, Charles, was very attentive and kept the grounds lovely. I do think the condition of the units varies by the owner. We usually stay in Truman annex, but were not there for a full week; therefore, we picked Hollinshed.