We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on places to simply relax

Kendall Park, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on places to simply relax

We want to recharge our internal batteries in sun, relative warmth and relaxation. Bars do not call us, parks and walking do. There is so much wonderful information on these forums and I've read hundreds of posts, gotten many ideas. If you wanted to put your feet up, sit with a cold one and watch the world go by...where's your favorite spot? We'll be taking the Dry Tortuga trip, drive to Big Pine for parks and kayaking. Trolley sounds like it would give us a few ideas.

As for food, plain and good is all we need. I hope you can give me a few pointers for our trip on 2/9.

Thanks, I always get good advice on TA!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

Are you looking to stay in KW or elsewhere in the Keys?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

I highly reccomend taking a trip to Bahia Honda. It is peaceful and gorgeous.. pack a lunch and spend the day there. You will see all types of nature and wildlife... there is an old bridge that you can walk out on that allows you to look downa nd view things in the water. The day we were there we say hundereds of dolphins swimming in pods, turtles, rays ..all types of fish it was spectacular. You can read my review on it in my profile.

Also, we really enjoyed spending time on Ft Zachary Taylor beach. It is rocky so bring water shoes .. but very relaxing and beautiful. They have grills there so you can actually pack a cooler and have a cook out if you wanted too.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

For good food we like Caroline's, Fogarty's, and Duffy's. There is a good wine bar ,Grand Vin on the Southern End of Duval (they also have beer) they have a nice porch to drink your cold one and people watch.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,139 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

When I want a drink in the afternoon where it's usually just me and the bar-keep, I go to the bar at the Roftop Cafe on Front Street. The bar starts outside then swings around through the door and ends up outside looking in. It overlooks the Wreckers museum tower and you can look down and see the ad on the roof of a trolley. I have Bloody Marys up here.

Second place that no-one seems to go in the afternoon is Pepe's on Caroline. There is a small garden / dining area and a bar. You can either have a beer or try one of their Bloodys.

Or I might have a micro brew at Kelley's, also on Caroline but on the Whitehead side of Duval.

(I have been known to share a bottle of wine on the afterdeck of the Idylwild while she's moored at the Galleon, but this is an invite-only deally.)

Pjk

Kendall Park, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

Thanks. Great ideas and what we are looking for. We already have lodging but don't plan to do more than sleep there. I assume regular grocery chain on KW, we usually load up a cooler and picnic. We most likely will load up right out of Miami. Bloody Mary's are right up my alley!

Since we're novices to kayaking, are there any"short run" places in the park areas.I couldn't make a whole day of it!

Thanks again. The thought of blue water and palm trees is keeping me alive in all this snow:)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

"The thought of blue water and palm trees is keeping me alive in all this snow"

That keeps me going as well. I could hang out at the Roof Top drinking Red Stripe talking to Jack the bartender all day. Oh wait, I did last time I was there :)

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

Louise after deck and the sunset pier are great for a Ocean view, walk the Cemetary and Nancy secret garden.

PJ

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

Plenty of grocery stores in KW. No need to load up ahead of time except for your picnic supplies.

Kendall Park, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

I'm soooo ready and a potential of 1-2 feet more of snow on the way! Walking, sitting and taking in the sights are just what the weatherman ordered. The drinking will just come naturally:)

My visit to Dublin was similar. Sights, sounds, lots of strolling. Love old places. Oh, yes, the beer. Large quantities.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice on places to simply relax

I like to hang at the Tower Bar at Turtle Kraals, even if I'm not drinking, it's great to sit on the bight in the afternoon or early evening. The rooftop bar at Hotel La Concha has a great sunset view and as soon as the sun goes down, the crowd thins and it's a great place to hang out for a while.

We enjoy biking around KW and just stop where it catches our fancy at different beaches or green spots.

Bahia Honda is great and there's hardly been anyone there when we've visited, it was like having a huge beach to ourselves. I'm sure there are other beach areas like that on other keys as well.

For eats, we really enjoy El Siboney for Cuban food. La Creperie has great crepes-bfast or a sweet crepe for a snack. 5 Brothers for a Cuban sandwich. Courthouse deli for quick bfast sandwiches. Mr Z's for late night meatball subs. Matteesson's for ice cream. Hogfish Grill on Stock Island has great peel and eat shrimp and a lobster BLT, yum yum and it's fun to feed your shrimp shells to the fish after you eat! On the way to or from Bahia Honda stop at No Name Pub for pizza-loved it!