We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more on Key west bar cards

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
238 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
more on Key west bar cards

I have been following the thread re: the cards because we will be traveling to Key West this weekend from Pittsburgh. I ordered cards online Sunday evening (obviously sort of late) and received confirmation from George on Monday morning that the cards were in the mail. Unfortunately the US postal service did not get the cards to me by Wednesday and my flight out is for early Thursday morning, as I write this.

I contacted George via e-mail and asked him if there would be some way to remedy the situation. He immediately got back to me via text and indicated that he would leave the cards we had purchased at the desk of our hotel. He asked only that I return the cards that I would eventually receive.

I think this is customer service at its best. Thank-you , George.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more on Key west bar cards

from all reports , everything has been good service from George and the BAR CARD.

Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more on Key west bar cards

I love George and the bar card! I wish we had something so great in my hometown!

3. Re: more on Key west bar cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 20:36
4. Re: more on Key west bar cards

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 20:46
5. Re: more on Key west bar cards

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 20:38
Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more on Key west bar cards

You should contact George and tell him which bars refused your card, and what your other experiences were. Last year when the card was just getting off the ground, some of the bartenders or waitresses didn't know what to do with them, which was the fault of the bar management and George tried really hard to make sure they got everyone in the loop. He doesn't know who's not cooperating if you don't tell him, though.

My husband and I EACH wound up getting at least 5 free drinks every day on our trip last June. Only one bartender gave us a slightly snippy attitude, but she still gave us our free drinks so I won't complain too much. The Bull only had a small selection of bar-card-approved cocktails, which were pretty lame at that, but I don't think they are participating this year. Perhaps they decided it just wasn't for them.

No need to triple-post to get your point across, by the way.

Virginia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: more on Key west bar cards

Jeannie,

I'm considering getting cards for the wife and I for a March arrival. Do you know what drinks are considered "bar card approved"?

Akron, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: more on Key west bar cards

triple/double post, my mistake. Never used a forum before. I contacted George, told him the problems, he was very friendly and got with the establishments. Hopefully other patrons don't have this problem, it's a great idea.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: more on Key west bar cards

Alan, this is from the Bar Card's FAQ...

Q. Are there exclusions, for example: top shelf or frozen drinks?

A. The Key West Bar Card applies to most cocktails by the glass or beer by the bottle or glass, though this is at the discretion of the individual bars.

Based on other Q's, glasses of wine are included.

www.keywestbardcard.com

hth

Pjk

Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: more on Key west bar cards

Actually the Bull was the only place that had a choice of only two "approved" drinks (Coors Light or some watered down pre-mixed thing). I don't think they were really on board the whole concept anyway, that's why they're not on the bar card again this year. At the Pier House Beach Bar we were told "Technically anything you want, but nothing too crazy - that wouldn't be cool." We got some beers, and as soon as they were done, the bartender said "Okay, here's your free round AND YOUR BILL" so we felt we were being dismissed. Apparently they're really nice to everyone else, so perhaps she just didn't like the cut of our collective jib. It was a beautiful setting so I'd go back again, I bet we just caught the bartender in a foul mood.

We found the best policy everywhere was to show the card as soon as we sat down and say "What can we get with this?" Most of the time the bartenders just shrugged and said "Eh, whatever you want" other than the ones I just mentioned. Schooner Wharf did a long explanation of their bar card policy (basically just reiterating the official bar card rules), but ultimately you can get ANYTHING there - for real anything, even top shelf! We got some pretty gorgeous expensive multi-rum cocktails that were darn tasty! Most of the time we just got beer everywhere though...not because it was a rule at all, we just really really like beer a lot!