We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me pack!!!!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help me pack!!!!

OK my wife and I are trying to avoid checking our baggage , and we both want to use a carry on. We will be in KW for four nights. For all the times we visit KW, we never visited at this time of the year. We live in PA. so yeah it's cold. We arrive Friday a.m. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Edited: 15 February 2011, 10:57
Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me pack!!!!

I pack a carry on when we go for 12 days. Few pairs of pants 3 shorts, 3 t's, 3 botton downs, sweater and a lite jacket. Put all of your things out and wait until a few days before you leave then check on the weather to see what temps you will be dealing with.

PJ

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me pack!!!!

I would add in a bathing suit.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
487 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me pack!!!!

We are in PA as well and will be in Miami on Friday for the drive down to KW! I have capris, shorts, short sleeve shirts, flip flops, bathing suit(s) and a light jacket. This what what I take every year and I've never needed anything heavier! Trust me, you will feel SO warm in KW compared to here!! Safe trip and see you in KW!!!!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me pack!!!!

Wear jeans down on the plane, that leaves more room in your bag.

If you need anything heavier, there's always the $5 store for a KW sweatshirt and you can wear it home on the plane.

Buy your liquids/gels/foam in the travel size for the 3-1-1 rule for carry-on's or purchase bigger sizes at Walgreen's when you get there and leave what's left.

Remember you also get to carry on that "personal item", I always choose a backpack which will hold quite a bit.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me pack!!!!

As PJ said, we bring carry ons for a two week stay. And yes we do have laundry facilities. But if you put your clothes in one of those vacumn pack bags, I have been able to bring 5 paris of shorts, 5 t-shirts, 4-5 tank tops, 3 dress shirts, 2 bathing suits, socks and underwear for 5-6 days and a beach towel. And after sucking the air out I stlll have room in my carryon for a soft sided cooler, flip flops, bathroom stuff etc. I wear my bulkiest clothes, sneakers, sweatshirt and light jacket.

NJ
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me pack!!!!

I have done only carryon for about 10 years now (since my luggage got lost both coming and going). Besides my carryon suitcase I use a large beach type bag that will fit under the seat. I can also put my purse on top if they say anything about having 3 items. I quit bring "dressy" clothes years ago. They are just not needed

Have a great time

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me pack!!!!

Not only wear jeans down, but also socks (some people don't) and you will have these in case of a cool night or morning, and footwear that you can use while in key West. And wear either a hoodie or a denim shirt, esp one with button-down pockets, instead of a coat. You can use this at night and esp on a snorkel trip to put on when you get out of the water. And fold up one cloth tote. You can use this to hold towels and a few other small items if you go snorkeling or for shopping.

Pjk

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
259 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me pack!!!!

This topic is so timely for me... I'm packing tonight for my first trip to KW. I arrive around 5 tomorrow. So excited!

SW Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me pack!!!!

Wear a jacket with pockets and put socks and underwear in the pockets.

keywest
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me pack!!!!

your in luck i live and work here on the wharf (schooners wharf to be exact) any way due to my employment i keep a close eye on the weather ( my co-workers call me the weather girl) anyway it will be in the mid to upper 70's at least through wed 2/23 with a east wind about 10 knots and a low (at nite of 60-64) sunny .so id pack mostly shorts short sleeves or tank top for day(bathing suite of course) wife 1 pair caprie pants for evening and you 1 pair of jeans bolth bring a light sweater or very light jacket there is a 10% chance of rain and that means notta! you can pack very light and be safe with that! and if for some strange thing that comes up there are plenty of stores along duval that boast $5 dollar items and you can rest assured you can pick up a tshirt or long sleeves dont worry about packing alot!! hope that helps hope to see ya!!