We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

Iowa
Level Contributor
232 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

We will be in KW from 3-3 to 3-7-11 and would be interested in visiting with someone looking for a charter to split at some point during this time. Another couple or individual. PM me if interested.

Also looking for thoughts on what the current fuel price increases will do , or are doing to the fishing and tour boat companies.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

Let your Capt know you want to do a split!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
232 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

Is this forbidden? I've read earlier posts on TA that there are some boats that post needed split participants on a chalkboard at their slip.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

No, not at all forbidden. But when know they can help try and set it up. It's much nicer then showing up and going "Oh, we couldn't find another two so we don't want to go" and then have to remind you of the cancellation policy and he didn't even know you were wanting to split. Plus they get calls asking for splits and can say "I have someone looking on the third!"

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,603 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

Just before you come to the end of Front Street on the Simonton Side and on the right side of the street is a small kiosk which used to be owned by Capt. Dave Brown. It may still be. He always has a sign that says 2 (or so) seats for charter. He is right down from the Bight and so the boats going out must tell him if they have openings. I have one of his cards at home and if I can find it I'll post his phone number if you like.

If he doesn't have anything you can walk the few steps to the bight and just ask or see if anything is available.

Last bet is to get in touch with a concierge at a hotel. They, too, are in touch with boats going out who have seats available. I can give you the name and number of someone at the Pier House if you want to have it in your pocket.

Pjk

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

What kind of charter, fishing or sight seeing charter?

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

While you are down, check this out

www.fla-keys.com/news/news.cfm?sid=8007

Iowa
Level Contributor
232 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

It would be for fishing. Even as midwesterners, we take the fishing that we do get to do pretty serious. We live too far away from good fishing, that when we do go we can fish pretty hard. 6-8 hrs is common. We're not bitchers and complainers. It is fishing.The major difference from what we are used to is probably the sun and the weather and waves.

We have gone out with Almost There charters in the past, and enjoyed the time thoroughly. The kicker is we watch the shows on TV (Spanish Fly, Bass to Billfish, Saltwater Journal , it gets us through the long winters up here ) and dream to be able to hook up with an out fit like these, and yea I know it is TV, but we know there are so many good/great guides out there it is hard to choose. W e always say to our charter captain that we '' just want to catch fish'' but sometimes I think we should ask to do a specific trip, i.e. wreck/reef, flats, deep water etc.or a species specific.

We do have a budget, but if a split can help us get more time on the water, we can cope.

Will take the suggestions here and do some visiting , letting our intentions be known. Thanks for all replies , I so enjoy this site

Key West
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

This may seem a bit forward but what is your budget? Sometimes you can do a full day in a flats boat for what you would pay for a 1/2 or 3/4 day on a offshore boat. (even with the split)

Fish hard,

Bonez

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,603 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

Just in case you need this...

Captain David Brown (private charters, all types of fishing, etc)

Cell (305) 896-1739

Office (305) 294-0204

Pjk

Iowa
Level Contributor
232 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Split Charter - Fuel Surcharges

Cap'n Bonez,

We are figuring around 150.00-200.00 pp w/tip at 15-20% for a 4 hrto 6 hr trip. Maybe a bit more obviously if we cannot do a split.

Would like to maybe target a specific fish or area, whatever the captain knows what is biting the best.

We want to book something soon after we get there on Wed. 2nd. We don't really have any other plans other than the CH Friday afternoon/eve. ;)