We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain coming in.

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Tawas, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Rain coming in.

Flying in on the 1rst of March, with rain in the forecast what's a person to do, if I wake to a pouring rain? Thank you for any suggestions.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain coming in.

I would not worry about it. Forecasts more then a couple days off are usually not very accurate and it does not rain much this time of year. In fact, I don't think it has rained at all for last couple weeks.

If it is pouring when you wake up, wait a half hour. Most rain this time of year moves through quickly and the sun comes out again. If we do get a wet day, there are museums, shopping, movie theaters, and indoor bars and restaurants where you can hang out and wait for the rain to pass.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain coming in.

It has rained very hard on some of or trips, we like to find a Bar have a drink and wait the rain out. The wife will grab an umbrella and go shopping. lol

PJ

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain coming in.

And the weather report from a local channel this morning said we have a very long dry spell ahead of us. No mention of rain.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,192 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain coming in.

The Key West Art & Historical Sociaety always has something going on and I've never been disappointed in going there. Check it out.

http://www.kwahs.com/

*IF* it's pouring rain in Key West it may be sunny and clear at the Tortugas. This might be an opportunity you weren't expecting...

1-800-634-0939

http://www.yankeefreedom.com/

And the glass-bottom boat won't be affected by rain...

furycat.com/key-west/glass-bottom-boats.htm

Pjk

Edited: 24 February 2011, 15:56
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain coming in.

I woke up to pouring rain and black sky in Miamai last Thursday, flew down to Key West where it was sunny for 7 days straight - enjoy!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain coming in.

Rain or no rain - it still beat Ohio snowstorms!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain coming in.

For what it's worth, it rained all morning, right through lunch, on the last day of our visit last month. Nothing but dark storm clouds in every direction. But . . . by 1pm the rain had stopped, by 1:30 the clouds started to break up, and by 2pm the sky was a brilliant blue and the sun was blazing.

That day turned out to be the sunniest, and the warmest, that we had on our entire 5-day trip! :)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,192 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain coming in.

One day on a trip with the JavaCat we hit one of the worse storms I've ever ben in. The rain and wind were bad enough but then litghening started hitting no more than 30 - 40 feet from the boat. It had also hit Key West and when I got back I was walking along Front Street between approx the Rum Barrel and Island Dogs, up to my knees taking photos...

…smugmug.com/Travel/…609744254_ndUUB-S.jpg

…smugmug.com/Travel/…609744357_ybswF-S.jpg

…smugmug.com/Travel/…609744659_pcSuR-S.jpg

The CVS and Two Friends had sandbagged their doorways. A front-end loader had to come and clear the drain on Simonton and all was well. Wet but well.

Pjk

Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain coming in.

My first visit to Key West was in the weeks just before Hurricane Georges swept through, so the outer bands of the storm poured rain and wind all over KW for all four days of my trip! I must say it didn't damper my fun one bit. The bars, shops, and galleries were just as interesting, and I had an absolutely delightful time. I even saw someone kayaking down Duval! Kino sandals don't hold up in the rain worth a damn though - they were like waterskis.

I always say, if you can't have fun in Key West, you must really be TRYING to not have fun. The sunshine is great, but it's got a lot more going for it than just that!

(and I do agree that raining cats & dogs in KW still trumps several feet of snow in Ohio - or Michigan)

East Tawas, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain coming in.

Thanks everybody for your quick response and suggestions. Totally agree about the Ohio Michigan weather.Although We live in Northeast Michigan, and have had much worse weather over the years.Will definately appreciate the 50-60 degree temperature difference though.The wife want's sun and sand, I'm happy with a seat at the bar and a little sightseeing on bike.Staying at the Angelina so at the green Parrot I will roost, cheers;