We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
579 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

Day 7:

Breakfast at the guest house. Each day we were there the weather got a little bit warmer; however, it was the coldest weather I’ve ever experienced in KW in the 5 years that we’ve been going there. We even went twice last year and managed to miss the cold weather but it was a heck of a lot warmer than Syracuse. We spent most of the day at the beach at Fort Zach. We rented two lounge chairs and an umbrella. For lunch, we ordered ANOTHER Cuban mix sandwich at the beach shack to share. It was okay but didn’t quite taste “CUBAN.” Good enough…..Later on in the day we stopped at the Olive Oil Store. We just did a quick walk through because they didn’t have anything to put the oil on to sample, just small disposable cups….too bad….they have a good idea but need a better way to go about the sampling part…..We went to the Conch Republic for happy hour for a few drinks. We tried to order the Royal Reds but they were out of them…..we’ll try again next time. I have to see if they’re really as good as everyone says they are. We made our way down to Vino’s for a couple of glasses of wine and then to Better Than Sex for dessert and coffee. At this point, I was so full that I was ready to pop. We went back to the guest house and called it a day.

Day 8:

Breakfast again at the guest house. DH went running again and I took another walk. I ended up at Island Joe’s coffee for some average coffee. DH and I took a long morning stroll around town and ended up at El Meson de Pepe for lunch. This place continually gets bad reviews but I only go for their Cuban Nachos. My husband and I split them and split one of their mojitos. (see the trend? DH and I split almost everything…..this way we don’t gain too much weight). The nachos were a little disappointing as they were a bit runny. Again, a must do everytime we are in KW. Later on in the afternoon we split another cookie from Matteson’s and had our own private happy hour in our room in preparation for the Conch Tale Hour. We headed over to the Galleon where we enjoyed a drink with Seabus and Janey, Jamaican Joe and Carribbean Kate, Carol, Ginger and a few others. We only stayed a short time and, after sunset, headed over to see my new favorite guy, Gerd Rube at Willie T’s again. I’d go see him EVERY night but I’m afraid he might think I’m a stalker……We then walked over to Vinos and, this time, got smart and purchased a bottle of wine instead of buy-the glass. On the way back to the guest house we stopped at Mr. Zs for a slice of drunken pizza and ended our evening with a lovely swim at Marrero’s.

Day 9:

Breakfast at Blue Heaven. I love this place. They’ve never disappointed me. We only waited about 10 minutes at the bar during which time I enjoyed a mimosa. I had the Rooster Special which consisted of scrambled eggs, to-die-for pecan pancakes, and home-fried potatoes accompanied by a cappuccino. DH had some type of omelet which he said was terrific. I have to patronize this place once each trip to KW. We then went for a long walk down to the other end of Duval, checking out Higgs Beach, the Southernmost Point, Casa Marina, etc. We stopped at the West Martello place, checked it out and left our small donation. It was nice, but not spectacular. Spent much of the day poolside and later on bought a fresh fruit tray from Faustos and proceeded to eat the whole thing….delicious. We then headed down to watch the sunset and take a few more photos. Dinner was at La Trattoria that night. Love this place. Again….a must do on every trip. I was really looking forward to enjoying their mussels, but they didn’t have them that night….crap……So we ended up splitting the antipasto plate, the mushroom caps and a penne arrabbiata and washed everything down with a mango martini. I just love splitting…..walked out feeling fine and not too full. We then headed over to Vino’s….again…..and split another bottle of wine. We rounded out our evening with a quick, expensive, drink at Margaritaville because whatever band was playing pulled me in. Lastly, went for a nice swim at the guest house before retiring.

Day 10:

Last day in KW. Breakfast at the guest house. We usually leave KW at the crack of dawn but, for whatever reason, our flight got changed to 5:45 p.m. For many of you this sounds wonderful but no so much for us. My husband was spent….he just wanted home. We walked around aimlessly for much of the day. It was kind of a waste of a day….I wouldn’t do it that way again. We stopped in at Matteson’s for ice cream and had a slice of sober pizza from Mr. Zs for lunch before heading over to the airport.

Two things I left out previously: One more Cuban mix sandwich from Cuban Coffee Queen and Monday martini’s at Virgilios – which are $5. Hello….my name is Sue and I’m addicted to Cuban mix sandwiches from the Cuban Coffee Queen………….

We had a great time in KW as you can see. I’ll be back in 71 more days with my daughter to celebrate her 21st birthday!!!!

And yes, I do take notes daily when on vacation. Otherwise I'm either too drunk or tired to remember........

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

Thank you for all three reports of your FABULOUS trip!

Walking, eating, drinking, pool time -- glorious!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

I LOVED all of your reports! Sounds like you had a fabulous time!!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

Thank you for sharing. I too loved reading your reports. Glad you will be able to come back soon!

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

Oh, one more thing --

About that last day -- hubby was ready for home I'm sure, but now that he's there he's probably not as ready as he thought I'd guess. Will be ZERO tonight Sue -- ZERO. ugh.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
572 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

FWIW, Cuban Coffee Queen rocks great breakfast sandwiches as well, I like the Mainlander with Taylor Pork Roll ( a Jersey thing). I take a long walk in the morning and hit there on the way back to the house. Given the sandwich and cafe con leche should probably make the walk alot LONGER!

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

What a wonderful trip Sue. Like you two, my wife and I usually split whatever we order out - just too much quantity for me to eat a whole meal most places anyway and it sure saves $$. Can't wait to fill your seats at CTH in 8 weeks.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
780 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

Great trip report, thanks so much for sharing.

My Mom can't stop raving about Cuban Coffee Queen, she LOVES it. I never got to try it out last time we were there, will be putting it on the list this time for sure.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

What a great trip report (and trip!)! Thanks for sharing, it made my day!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,980 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

One time, try the suffed plantain app at El Meson de pepe with a mojito.

Pjk

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 02/11-02/20 The End........

Great trip report, thanks for "sharing" :)