We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Where to eat?

We will be arriving in a couple days! This is our first time to KW not sure where to eat.

Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat?

Where are you staying?

On our last trip, we checked in at our hotel and just started walking. We were staying at the La Concha and the first place that looked good and lunchy was Caroline's - we lucked out, it was awesome! We parked our butts at the bar and ordered up several plates of appetizers and lots of cold beers. Great food and great people-watching. Mmmmm dolphin fingers.

Honestly, the only really *bad* and boring meal we've had in Key West was at Wendy's. Places vary in their level of fanciness but we have fun everywhere. So clearly I do not have a very discriminating palate, maybe you should not listen to me, lol!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat?

You haven't said what you like or dislike, fancy meal, casual meal, etc. But my suggestion...

Start reading on this forum and TA. I haven't been yet (2 weeks from tomorrow) and have a list

Check out:

-"Restaurants" link to the left

-Yelp.com

-This forum

There are a lot of good Happy Hours with things like half prices apps. Just check out here

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-c3709/Key-West…

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat?

coaler, you didn't tell us what you like so that makes it very hard there are hundreds of places to eat.

Here are some of our favs, Alonzo's 4 to 6 for Happy Hour left side of menu 1/2 price, Harpoon Harry's for breakfast, Ambrosia for sushi, 7 fish early so they don't rush you, 915, Finnigan's Wake.

PJ

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat?

New at tripadvisor also! We like seafood and steak, but really up for anything. No place fancy just casual.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat?

Our "must-do's" for lunch are Southermost Beach Cafe and Kelly's; we also like Martin's for brunch and Amigos for fresh Mexican fare. I'm also hearing great things about Sweet Tea's and will be adding that to my list for our trip next month.

For dinner, it's Seven Fish, Sarabeth's, Grand Cafe, and (if you're feeling flush), Hot Tin Roof for the wonderful view. If you need a pasta fix, Abbondanza is a romantic little trattoria off the beaten path with great food and welcoming service.

Also, it wouldn't be a trip to Key West without an afternoon on the Afterdeck at Louie's Backyard!

Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat?

I'm very excited for you, taking your first trip to Key West! You didn't mention where you are staying...? How long is your visit?

For many visitors (myself included) the best way to experience Key West is just to strap on your favorite flip-flops and wander, stopping for a bite and a drink anyplace that looks interesting. There are SO many great places to eat, drink and hang out!

All of Tracey's suggestions are great, and I'd like to add a few of my favorites to the list (in addition to the aforementioned Caroline's):

Schooner Wharf - decent casual food & drinks, totally awesome atmosphere

Pepe's - great breakfast, fun patio, incredible fresh margaritas

BO's Fish Wagon - good very casual food, location is cooler than cool

Dante's - not great quality or prices, but you get to have drinks brought to you in a pool which is pretty fun. Nice pool!

Sandy's Cafe - very good and very LARGE Cuban sandwiches, yum

Captain Tony's - I don't even know if they have food, but I really like the atmosphere and they always seem to have a really good band

El Meson de Pepe - I've only eaten one thing there, but so help me it was the best appetizer I've ever eaten in my entire life (and I've had more than my share); I'm totally going back on my next trip for more food

Green Parrot - another place that may not even have food, but the atmosphere is not to be missed

Oddly enough, you'll also find really good food at the airport. If you're flying home, get there early and have a pre-flight beer with some conch fritters!

HAVE FUN! You're in for a very happy vacation! And, welcome to the boards!

Edited: 11 March 2011, 20:19
Miami
Level Contributor
784 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat?

Seafood is good most everywhere (except the chain restaurants). My favorites are BO's Fish Wagon, Raw Bar, Hogfish, and Shor at the Hyatt (for special occasion). On the steak side (not cheap) a waterside table at the Strip House is my favorite, but Michael's would come in a close second.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat?

I like a lot of the suggestions already mentioned -- Finnegan's Wake, Schooner Wharf, Pepe's, Sandy's, Michaels (especially their lightside menu). I'd add El Siboney (I prefer the food there over El Meson de Pepe) and I'm looking forward to Sweet Tea's this summer. Since you like seafood, I'd definitely suggest you hit up Alonzo's for happy hour -- one of the best deals in Key West.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
77 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat?

We enjoyed great Cuban food (and live music) at El Meson de Pepe, and stopped into Amigos a couple of times for the delicious square tacos.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,148 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to eat?

I was gonna add something but jeanniepep beat me to all of them.

But, wait! I started having one dinner sitting at the bar at the Half Shell Raw Bar at the Key West Bight. They have a smaller catch-of-the-day menu tucked inside of the larger one with potential fish platters. Potential because if it's not fresh they don't serve it - grouper, yellowtail, mahi, etc. You can have it blackened, grilled or however you like it, and you gert a choice of three sides. The pincin-y ones seem the best to me, slaw, potato salad, fries. One of these platters with a Key West sunset ale can't be beat. I wish I was there right now 'cause I'm celabrating.

http://www.halfshellrawbar.com/

Take that, jeanniepep. 8-)

Pjk