We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coconut Mallory marina and resort

columbus, ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Coconut Mallory marina and resort

We will be there last week of July. Has anyone been there and what is the place like? Hope it's nice!

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
71 reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
55 reviews
from US$63.00*
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
377 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

Yep, we own a week there. It's a nice place, nice pools, large rooms. You will need a car or be prepared to pay about the same per day for a taxi, obviously don't drink and drive. Bar onsite and you can walk to Hurricane Hole across the channel for drinks/food and boat rentals.

We tried the bus routine, just not reliable or convienent. Rent a bike and tool around is fine.

It's 4 miles from Duval and Old Town, so some people would never stay here. Plus you get many opinions on here from people that have never stayed here, but seem to know everything about it ;-}

PM me if you need any specifics.

Edited: 25 March 2011, 00:54
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,099 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

I've never stayed there...8-) But

"Directions To Paradise

Directions from US 1: As you enter Key West you will cross over the Cow Key Channel bridge. Once over the bridge, turn left at the traffic light (continue on US1, which is also called Roosevelt Blvd.) The Coconut Mallory Resort & Marina will be less than 1/2 mile down on your left hand side."

Megan starts her stand-up paddleboard trip from the Cow Key Marina so you'd be very close in case you wanted to try it out.

www.supkeywest.com/SUP_Key_West/Home.html

And from the resort it's an easy bike ride to Old Town. IMO biking along Whitehead is best, then Simonton, and try to avoid Duval for most of the day.

Pjk

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

And once again PJK, you have turned a post about something entirely different into yet another online infomercial for your cronies. Aside from your taxi ride to and from the airport, when do you ever go to New Town?

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

Not to further beat up Peter, but your post is not even correct. When you turn left coming into Key West you are no longer on US1. You are on A1A. It is South Roosevelt Blvd. Turning right would keep you on US1 or North Roosevelt Blvd. Having said that, the OP did not even ask for directions.

Also, what are you talking about regarding biking to town from there? You are no where near Whitehead or Simonton. Once you get to Whitehead or Simonton you are already in Old Town.

A final point about biking in Old Town. You really should stop recommending people use Simonton and Whitehead with bikes. Both these streets are busy, crowded streets without bike lanes. They are used by people with cars to get across the island. Having a bunch of tourists riding bikes all over the road is dangerous and frustrating. You are much better off avoiding these streets when on bikes and using Thomas instead of Whitehead, or any of the north south streets running parallel to Simonton.

Finally, I love Mike's comment about people posting about places they have never been to. If people only posted about places they have first hand experience with, there would be a lot fewer posts on these questions.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,099 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

Well will you look at this! Those people at the resort copied my directions exactly:

Directions To Paradise

Directions from US 1: As you enter Key West you will cross over the Cow Key Channel bridge. Once over the bridge, turn left at the traffic light (continue on US1, which is also called Roosevelt Blvd.) The Coconut Mallory Resort & Marina will be less than 1/2 mile down on your left hand side."

They put them right on their web page

http://www.coconutsuites.com/rent_kw.html

Well, I guess they should know.

Pjk

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

Two wrongs don't make a right. At the "t" US 1 goes to the right, and A1A goes to left. Simple here follow US 1 and you'll never get there. Someone should inform Coconut Mallory of their mistake.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

It is a good example of why regular posters, who others are relying on, should only post on things they have first hand experience with.

Sorry, but I think people see "Destination Expert" and a zillion posts and think you have more personal experience and insight then what you get off a google search.

columbus, ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

Thanks. I've been so worried because there's been so many negative reviews about the place and we traded to come to Key West. It's our first time there and just wanted a heads-up on the accommodations. Any more feedback you have would be appreciated. Can you walk to any beach?

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

make a left out of the resort and follow the walking/biking path directly to Smathers and then Higgs beach. Easy walking/biking distance plus you'll be following the water, beautiful views.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coconut Mallory marina and resort

I did not comment about Coconut Mallory since I have not been there in a long time. Mike0917 seems to have first hand info.

The closest beach to you is Smathers. It is a mile or so, so might be far to walk, but an easy bike ride. The whole south shore of the island has a walking/biking path along the ocean, so it is a nice ride or walk and it starts close to your resort.

If you are going to have a car, driving is no problem and you can find plenty of parking at Smathers Beach. You can also easily drive to Higgs Beach or Fort Zachary Taylor in 15 minutes or so. Both have plenty of parking.

Edited: 26 March 2011, 21:21