We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I feel ignorant... but what is a conch fritter??

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
I feel ignorant... but what is a conch fritter??

Can someone tell me what that is? I'll be in Key West for almost a day and need some good ideas on what food to have. Any other local favorites?

Michigan
Level Contributor
294 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I feel ignorant... but what is a conch fritter??

The closest thing I could compare them to would be a hush puppy. Think ground up conch, with seasonings added & deep fried.

If you're unfamiliar with conch, do a google image seach. It's the large seashell-like thing, technically a snail.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,330 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I feel ignorant... but what is a conch fritter??

The dish that I always associate with Key West is blackened grouper. You can get it as a sandwich but I prefer it simply on a platter with black beans. If grouper is unavailable, many places will substitute blackened mahi-mahi. Either Blue Heaven or Pepes. And I think B.O.'s Fishwagon makes this in a sandwich.

Does anyone is Key West still make boles - mashed and deep-fried peas.

Pjk

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I feel ignorant... but what is a conch fritter??

Just like a clam cake. The conch is just another mollusk.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
519 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I feel ignorant... but what is a conch fritter??

Local favorites? Con leche and cheese toast with ham from 5 Brothers.

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I feel ignorant... but what is a conch fritter??

I may be alone in this, but I think fried calamari is one of the things they do best in KW. It's real easy to make bad squid by over cooking it, but I've never had a bad batch of it anywhere on the island. Each place puts a slightly different spin on it. The Turtle Kraals is particularly good: they put a slice of jalepeno pepper in with the squid which gives it a spicey flavor. might mouth is watering!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I feel ignorant... but what is a conch fritter??

Hehe... I've always heard of conch shells, just never associated it with a food I guess! Mmmm.... I LOVE fried calamari. I might have to look for that.

Westwood, NJ
Level Contributor
992 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I feel ignorant... but what is a conch fritter??

If you order them at Mangrove Mama's, it will rate as one of the best things you've ever put in your mouth!

I recommend ordering them in the bar along with their mason jar sized Pina Colada's!

After a day at Bahia Honda Beaches, the above ending to it all can't be beat!