We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is what I'm looking for...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
This is what I'm looking for...

Hey all! Planning a trip to Key West sometime in the near future and i'm not sure where to stay (I don't know much about it). Travel pages and all of that don't tell me exactly what I want to know, so I'm turning to you! Here's what i'm looking for:

1. I want to be in the center of some action (walk to bars/restaurants, shops, etc) Don't know if there are different "sections" but i'd like to be in a popular locale.

2. I don't necessarily need to stay in a resort-type place

3. I want to be near bars on the ocean/sand....give me a tiki roof and a bartender in a Hawaiian shirt and i'll be in heaven.

4. Nightlife important, music, etc.

Can you help? Thanks!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

Take a look at Southernmost Hotel.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

I agree and will add the sister, Southernmost on the Beach.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

What is considered the more popular area? Isn't it over on the other side of Duval street? Like I said, I have NO idea, i'm just looking at a map of bars and stuff...a lot are over on the other side. Is it walkable from one side to the other?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

I would third those two recommendations. I've stayed at the SMH and really enjoyed the location. It would be a bit of a walk to other bars and such but I think the bar at SMOTB fits your bill really well.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

I should reiterate, the tiki bar doesn't necessarily have to be at the hotel i'm staying at. I just want to be able to walk to some really casual, down home places to relax. I guess I just have this vision in my head that might not be reality. Being able to walk to restaurants and bars is most important. I want to walk down the street and find somewhere to just hang loose.

Dublin, OH
Level Contributor
215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

If sand isn't exceptionally important, just about any hotel on or near Duval should fit the bill. Key West is a remarkably easy town to walk around, and there will be a bar or restaurant within feet of wherever you choose to stay.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

Well, that describes almost, if not all, of Old Town. You should decide whether you want to stay in a B&B, hotel, or what and THEN decide where you want to be.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

So "Old Town" is the section I want to be in?

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

Yes, definitely Old Town. If you could give us an idea of your preferences --- hotels, guest houses/b&bs, small inns, budget, length of stay and time of year for your visit, it would help us help you better.

For example, if you are there in the summer, it will be HOT and walking from the Southernmost end of town to the other end, isn't going to be as easy or as fun as it is other times. (Bike rentals are great tho, but still HOT).

New Jersey
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: This is what I'm looking for...

Well, i'm pretty flexible on dates..Late May perhaps? June? I'd prefer a hotel over a B&B, budget isn't too much of an issue but I don't want to spend $400/night if I can help it.