We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches near Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beaches near Key West

My wife and I are traveling with friends over Memorial Weekend to Key West and staying at the Navy housing. We would like to have a day to spend at a beach with snorkeling and a close bar/restraurant. We'll have transportation. Any recomendations?

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches near Key West

None of the beaches are that great in The Keys with the best being about an hour away from Key West at Bahia Honda State Park or Sombrero Beach in Marathon.

If you want to stay closer, Higgs Beach might work for you. There is very good snorkeling off the Reynolds Street Pier. You will see the ruins of the old pier beyond the newer replacement one. Lots of sealife along these ruins. You can also check out the gardens at Martello Tower, hang out on the beach, and there is a great restaurant there called Salute (with a full liquor license!) when you are hungry or thirsty.

Fort Zachary Taylor might be another choice, but the beach is very rocky so bring water shoes. You can snorkel by the off shore rocks and there is a concession stand with sandwiches and snacks. They do sell beer, but only with food.

Finally, I assume you have access to the Navy Beach next to Fort Zachary. That would save you the admission at Fort Zachary, but there is no concession stand. I am not sure of Navy Rules, but you might be able to bring a picnic and drinks.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches near Key West

@SDT

Thanks for the information. I'll do some more research with it. Good luck to you and your travels.

Seaside
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches near Key West

It sounds like you will be staying at Sigsbee. As mentioned before, there is a nice beach for you (KW style) right along side Ft. Zac. Bring your beer and food with no worries. Cruise over to Sigsbee Marina and enjoy squid priced brew and food at the Sunset Lounge. Open weekdays @ 4PM, weekends @ 11 or 11:30AM. Just by the bar is a horse shoe pit, and good snorkeling from the rocky shoreline. Also, if you are military/DOD (and can pass the test), you can rent your choice of boats for about $175 per day.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches near Key West

@ Chilaxn

Appreciate the help. Looking forward to the Sunset Lounge.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches near Key West

There is also a club at the Beach where they are doing alot of outside work. I don't know when it is open, though. As we go right by to the beach most of the time.

6. Re: Beaches near Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 18:16