We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

Just wanted to warn other travellers that I recently (April 14, 2011) had some gasoline siphoned from my rental car while vacationing in Key West. While I can't say for sure where this occurred, my suspicion is that it happened in a parking garage on Front St., just west of Duval. Problem with the rental car is that the gas cap did not lock, so it was easy to access. The attendant at the garage also knew I would not return to the car for several hours.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
338 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

That stinks, it can happen anywhere. Look at the bright side, at least they didn't steal the whole car.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

I am sure we will see this all over the country as gas is rising over $4 a gallon.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

My car seats were stolen at Miami airport. I would have rather it had been the gas.

Sorry.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

Wow it was my understanding that all new cars had a stop in the fill line so you can't siphone gas out of the tanks any more? Sorry to hear this.

PJ

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

I knew this would be a first post - you could just tell by the title.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

Sadly, petty crime does exist in Key West. Bicycle thefts abound, and I've known of thiefs to even steal the seat or light off the bike.

Sorry you lost some gasoline, but most new cars make it very difficult to steal much gasoline because of the stop at the fill line.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,583 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

People over here have been stealing heating oil.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,445 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

I'm sorry it happened to you. I'm actually surprised we don't hear about this a lot more, since gas prices have risen so fast -- not just in Key West, but everywhere.

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

Hey BrlDsguise,

Just letting folks know that they should be aware that the high cost of gas can mean bad things can happen, even in a paradise like Key West. And I never checked rental car fuel flaps/covers before, but evidently many of them do not lock when the car is locked. There, that gives me two posts.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning - My Gasoline was Siphoned in Key West April 2011

MD, thank you for your post; it gives all of us (locals and tourists alike) something to consider. Crime happens in paradise, too. You didn't indicate in your post that this incident ruined your vacation so I have to believe that it didn't...good for you. I hope you write a trip report. :)