We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting in july, how necessary are rash guards?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
visiting in july, how necessary are rash guards?

my husband and i are going to kw in mid july and are planning to be out on the water a lot snorkeling, kayaking, parasailing etc. i know it gets really hot and humid but how bad is the sun and uv exposure? we're taking loads of sunscreen, will we need rash guards too? fyi, we're both tan/olive skin tones so we wouldn't burn bright red

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,794 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting in july, how necessary are rash guards?

I load up on the sunscreen, and we snorkel and sandbar all summer without one. I think it's more of a personal preference.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting in july, how necessary are rash guards?

yes, I'd suggest wearing them.

If you're coming from Chicago your skin might not be used to the intense heat of the Keys.

I made the mistake of not wearing mine one afternoon while snorkeling and got red all over my back. I used this green gel from CVS and it really helped, but if I'd spent maybe just another 1/2 hour in the sun I might have been in great pain.

So I got a white Quicksilver one at Divers Direct and wore it exclusively the rest of the trip with no issues.

And no having to deal with putting on all that sunscreen on my body. Just face, neck and ankles.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting in july, how necessary are rash guards?

It's always better to be safe then sorry. A burn can totally ruin a vacation , so I say take every precaution to make sure that would'nt happen.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,204 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting in july, how necessary are rash guards?

This is kind of an FYI...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34345-i53-k274183…

...and they will ask you not to use an oil-based sunscreen as it will wash off onto the deck and make it slippery. I've always had good weather and conditions in July.

Pjk

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting in july, how necessary are rash guards?

I saw rash guards for sale at around $15 each in places like Kmart in the Keys last week. Known brands are around $20-$30 in Divers Direct etc. so it's not really a big deal to buy them.

I wear one for diving all the time, even if under a wetsuit. I used it whilst Kayaking/snorkelling too and felt it was a boon.

Otherwise an old T shirt can help/suffice.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting in july, how necessary are rash guards?

I wanted to say thanks for the heads up on this. We've vacationed in the Keys many times, and have wet suits for cooler weather, but have never purchased rashguards to wear when it's warmer. We're usually only out on the water 2-3 hours at a time during the hot summer months in the Keys and sunscreen generally works....we use KissMyFace brand as it's biodegradable; I find it online (usually Amazon) for less than other biodegradable brands. This upcoming vacation we're planning to do all day kayak trips, plus plan to rent a boat and spend a longer day at Looe Key than the snorkel tours do. After reading this I figured I'd buy rashguards for the whole family if I could find a deal....and a deal I did find! I got rashguards for the 5 of us for less than $60.00 total... no tax and free shipping! (free shipping-over $50..ends soon) here's the link.. http://www.departmentofgoods.com/rashguards

7. Re: visiting in july, how necessary are rash guards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2012, 05:19