We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
256 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

Hi all;

Have a few general questions about Key West and area. We are flying into Fort Myers

last week of January and driving down to the Keys and plan on staying for 2 ½ days and then drive back and stay at Sanibel Island for an additional 5 more days. We have never been to the Keys, so thought it would be an interesting adventure. We are in our mid 60”s very active love to people watch and shop at interesting shops. However we don‘t drink or swim and we were wondering if there was enough to do in the Key West area to keep our attention. Also has anyone used Priceline to book any 5 star hotels on Key West and receive a good deal?

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and help.

Lary

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

I think you will find plenty to do. You can get on overview of the island by taking a trolley or conch train tour. The trolley stops at several places around the island so you can hop on and off. The train is a 90 min tour. I would suggest visiting the Butterfly Conservatory. It is magical! There is also Hemingwway's House, Truman's Little White House, The Lighthouse,The Odest House, The Custom's House and more. You can also visit Fort Zach woth its beach, fort and Eco-Discovery center.Mel Fisher's is also an option if you are interested in sunken treasures and it is always cool inside! At Mallory Square you will find the Shipwreck Historium and a small aquarium as a well as the famous Sunset Celebration.

I haven't used Priceline but I am sure someone will come along with advice on that. Have a great trip!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

Are you familiar with Priceline? I just went to biddingfortravel.com to see what hotels usually come up in Key West. The two resort properties listed are Casa Marina and the Hyatt. Four star were Marriott Beachside (which in my opinion is on the wrong end of the island), the Reach (sister resort to the Casa Marina above) and the Westin.

I realize those lists aren't the only hotels you might get. For me, it wouldn't be worth the chance of ending up where I don't want to be. My favorite thing to do in Key West is to get up early and walk by back streets and lanes in Old Town, admiring the architecture, listening to the chickens, watching the town wake up. It's a magical time for me. Wouldn't happen easily if I was in New town.

I've probably been to Key West 20 times over the past 15 years and have to confess I've never been in the water past knee deep. We are usually there late fall, the water is too chilly for me. So, yes, you can have a great time in Key West and now swim. I would, however, consider some sort of boating activity, whether it be kayaking or a sunset cruise or similar.

Personally, I'd add a day to Key West and drop a day from Sanibel. Or, since it's a long drive, spend a night somewhere in the upper keys.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
256 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

Hi Jeanh!!

You bring you some great points about Priceline. The only reason I mentioned 5 star is that it will make sure we get the best deal from them. However we don"t need a 5 star

just something that is nice and close to walking into town, was hoping for a balcony maybe. Since you know the island very well would you have any suggestions?

Thanks Lary

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

You'll have plenty to see and do. I agree with Jeanh regarding priceline..

Have you looked into the Key West Express from Fort Myers?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

I've had great luck with Priceline for hotels and cars. There are a couple of forums out there that have a lot of insight on the website and either help or confuse you more.

The water is often too chilly for me in January. But could be just fine for you all.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
256 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

Hi all!!

We had thought about the Key West Express however we would not have the car and also thought it would be interesting to see the different keys on the way to Key West.

I know it is a 6 to 7 hour drive down from Fort Myers, we do have the time and it is vacation. Just needing some suggestions on a nice place to stay that maybe has a balcony and is an easy walk to town.

Thanks Lary

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

Hi Larry, do you have a price point in mind? There are so many options to pick from and lots within easy walking distance. Check out the Pier House, Westin, The Galleon, Key West Harbor Inn, for a start and if those aren't what you have in mind, ask some more specific questions.

Here's a map to the hotels:

keywesttravelguide.com/key-west-hotel-map.ht…

hope that helps!

Edited: 10 July 2011, 17:43
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
256 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

Thanks Sharla!!

I will check these out. I did hear that the crusie lines are near a few of the hotels and block the view till early afternoon until they leave. Trying to keep it around $150.00 to $175.00 if that is at all possible????

Thanks Lary

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

That's tight, you can rule out all the oceanfront hotels which start in the $300's. Try the Angelina, Albury Court, The Lighthouse, Best Western Hibiscus and Key Lime Inn. They should all be under $200/night.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there enough to do for 2 1/2 days and Priceline 5 star ?

It's mostly the westin that gets blocked by the cruise ships.