We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Down Island Digs - worth renting???

Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Down Island Digs - worth renting???

We are seriously considering Down Island Digs for Dec 22 - 29 this year. We are early 50's couple who will be travelling with 20 year old college student daughter. It seems like it is in a good location and has a lot of what we like to have. However, not being familiar with KW, I would love to know what anyone knows about this property. We are not big drinkers, but love the bar music scene. Love snorkeling. Love the laid back lifestyle. Are we doing the right thing? ALSO - Any suggestions for places to eat for Christmas Day dinner? (We are definite foodies!) Any informaiton would be greatly appreciated.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Down Island Digs - worth renting???

cba, do you have an address? 1/2 block off duval could be anywhere in old town and the web address does not even give allow a map view. Are you sure they have a legal transient license? I would check with the management re: specific address and licensing before putting any money down.

As for Christmas, most places will be open and probably only the hotel restaurants will have special menus and/or pricing. We usually will go to our favorite restaurants with the same menu year round. What do you and your family like to eat and what would be your price range?

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Down Island Digs - worth renting???

If this is the web site of the place you are talking about, it says it is across the street from Fauso's which would put in on Fleming and Bahama Street. A good location for walking in Old Town. I also see it is available through vacation homes of key west, so I would guess it has the right license. It can never hurt to be sure through...

vacationhomesofkeywest.com/down-island-digs-…

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Down Island Digs - worth renting???

We are Truman Annex fans. Closer to the musical end of Duvall

Mentioned in this post
Truman Hotel
Truman Hotel
1,128 Reviews
Key West, FL
Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,603 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Down Island Digs - worth renting???

That looks like a very good location!

SW Indiana
Level Contributor
375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Down Island Digs - worth renting???

I am a first time poster but a long time lurker (almost to the point of creeping myself out) on this forum. We stayed at a place called Pineapple Cottage through Preferred Properties last year. I am not a shill for them either. We, and the couple we were with, loved it. Take a a look at their website.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Down Island Digs - worth renting???

We almost rented Down Island Digs about a year or so ago, but ended up staying at our friends' home.

However, on our last trip we did walk past the property to check it out for future reference. It looks very cute and inviting, but be aware that the front of the house overlooks the back parking lot/receiving area for Fausto's supermarket on Fleming. I have no idea what kind of noise you might get from deliveries, garbage pickup, etc. I would try to find a review of the place before you rent it....

Amityville, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Down Island Digs - worth renting???

My husband and I (we are in our 40's) rented Down Island Digs for a week in March 2009. Nice place --fine for the 2 of us. We had 2 friends visit for 2 days and the second bedroom was fine for them. The yard does not get much sun so we had to squeeze into the corner to sun ourselves near the pool, but the yard is very private. About 4:30-5 every morning you hear the delivery trucks for the food store accross the street. If you stay in the master bedroom it very loud (front of the house), but the bedroom in the back of the house is fine. The area is also a bit noisey at night, but that;s life in old town KW--did not bother us since we are from NY and love KW, but thought I'd add that in case noise is bothersome for you and your family. I would def. rent there again, we enjoyed the location, it's clean and we felt like locals for the week!

Luling, Louisiana
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Down Island Digs - worth renting???

I saw that you were considering Down Island Diggs in December and was wondering if you actually booked it. If so, how was your stay? I'm considering that property.

9. Re: Down Island Digs - worth renting???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 10:20