We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double Tree or Southernmost?

Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Double Tree or Southernmost?

Heading to Key West for our first time in November for 5 nights. We are in our early 50's but like some nightlife and touring. Which hotel is better located? How much is the cab fare to Duval Street from each? Is it better to stay closer to the action rather than cabing back and forth all the time? The price is right for both theDouble Tree and Southernmost Hotel...

Much appreciated!

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

Southermost has the much better location and is within walking distance of some good restaurants. You'd still be in a quiet location there, yet within easy biking distance of everything. Doubletree is in New Town and we prefer to stay in Old Town.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

I'm with Cruisemom! . I love the Southernmost area. Though it is an easy walk to Mallory Sqaure and the bight I agree with renting bikes is the most fun way to see the island.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

Southernmost by a long shot, unless you don't mind staying a few miles from Old Town out by the airport. Nothing against the Doubletree, but the location is not convenient to much of anything.

Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

That makes it easy! Southernmost it is! One more question. Is it worth the extra money to stay at the other Southernmost, the one right on the ocean?

Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

Also, I checked the average weather temps and rainfall for November and it seems decent. Have any of you been there in November?

:)

mpls
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

hate to hijack your thread travel world, but speaking of the southernmost hotel does anyone know if anyone can stop in for a cocktail or do you have to be staying there. we are staying at pearl's on united and it looks to be in walking distance for us. thanks.

Key West
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

The Doubletree is a great property and I believe much nicer then the Southernmost. The Doubletree has a free shuttle that does back and forth from downtown to the hotel, so cab fare is not an issue unless you come back after the shuttle quits running or do not want to wait for it.

I've spent a bit of time in KW in November, The temps are much milder then the summer. I stop going in the water around Nov. 1st. because it cools off to the high 70's but that's me. (been accused of being wimpy)

Bonez

Key West
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

paublo246,

the bar at Southernmost is open to the public. Stop in and say hi to Johnny B who is a very cool bartender there.

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

I highly recommend the Southernmost and while not familiar with the Doubletree property imagine it must be very lovely given Bonez's recommendation.

That said, for a 5 day, first time visit to Key West the location of the Southernmost will enhance your vacation experience immensely as you will not have to even think about how and when to get from point A to point B, you can simply walk out your door or hop on your bike (that you can rent right there) and go. Much more conducive to just letting the island unfold around you.

I have stayed at the hotel and have visited the on the beach property many times - unless you plan to spend a lot of time on the property or if you really want a water view, the hotel is more than fine. The "on the beach" is more newly renovated and has water views, which can be worth the $ if that's what you like. sometimes that water view is just what you need!.

I've also enjoyed cocktails at both and like the bar at the hotel better (that's where Johnny B works) especially since the renovation there.

P.S. Johnny's wonderful wife is also an awesome bartender who works both the Conch Republic Seafood Company and the GreenParrot!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
16,354 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Double Tree or Southernmost?

We always stay at the Southernmost. It is really nice but I would advise not booking a standard room as they are a bit dated. You can use the facilites at the SOTB, so as Excellent says, unless you want a sea view, the Southermnost if fine.

You can walk to all the restaurants etc from the hotel, which is at the quieter end of Duval. It takes about 25 minutes to walk down to Mallory Square from the Southernmost.

The Southernmost Beach Cafe (situated right on the beach), is open all day and the food is pretty good.