We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

California
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

Trying to decide whether to spend 1 day in Ft. Lauderdale and 2 days in Key West, or vice verse; any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
143 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

Ft. Lauderdale is nice but if I were you I'd sepnd all 3 days in Key West!!! I've traveled all over the world and Key West is one of my absolute favorite places. It is so laid back and relaxing. I go there as often as humanly possible to get away from the real world. There are tons of quirky shops, interesting museums and historical sites, really fun bars, and interesting people. It's a bit of a pain to get to, (2 lane road for a huge part of the drive), but once you're there you can do everything on foot, moped, or bicycle. I'm going in May and I CAN'T WAIT! I wish I was there right now!

SAINT CHARLES,IL
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

Tough call! I've been to both locations several times and I would choose 2 days in Key West because of atmosphere there. Ft. Lauderdale is great and fun but it's another city. If you are a beach person....go to Lauderdale for 2 days. The beaches are great and plenty to do..eat/shop/drink/people watch just across from the beach. They also have a great boardwalk location and nice/trendy restaurants downtown. Key West....is a vacation, you can let your hair down and have a great time, it's more tropical feeling with the color of buildings, locals and the food. Although I am a big fan of the beach - I would pick 2 days in Key West over Lauderdale any day of the week.

You will love both locations, but if you're trying to accomplish a mini vacation spend the majority of your time in Key West. Also, I should add to this I am 28 and my husband is 30 and we have no kids. If you have children you may want to spend more time at Lauderdale.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

U.S.A
Level Contributor
414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

Depends on what you are looking for. Ft. Lauderdale actually has nicer beaches. There are no beaches in Key West. I don't care what anyone says. We've been and the beaches well were horrible. I will send you pics if you want to see it. But, then again, if you are just looking for the bar scene, Key West is your place. If you are looking for a beach to visit and actually get in the water, then try Ft. Lauderdale. I hated Key West and we have been to over 40 beaches in the US in the past 3 years, meaning 40 beaches towns and Key West was our LEAST favorite. We are in our late 20s but are so over the bar scene, so maybe that is why we didn't like Key West. It seemed stupid to go all the way to Key West just to drink.

miami, florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

If you don't have kids and are into total relaxation and a real get-away feeling, then I say all three days in Key West, hands down! Like the previous opinion, Ft. Lauderdale is just another city but with nice beaches. Ft. Lauderdale may offer more for kids though.

California
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

Thank you for your response! That is actually what I had thought about Key West-that it WOULD be more of a relaxing vacation than Ft. Lauderdale, but having never been there before, it's hard to be sure. It is just my husband and myself, and I am trying to make our 8 days in Florida as "romantic" as possible. Appreciate your help!

miami, florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, there's nothing more romantic than a Key West sunset...absolutely spectacular!

Cheektowaga, New...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

Well I had never nbeen to Key West. I turned around after getting about half way there driving once.

I have been to Lauderdale several times.

This trip was for a romantic relaxing getaway. I chose Key West this time and flew directly there.

I made the right choice!!! Key West was an awesome place!!! As to the person who says they are so over the bar scene, gimmee a break. I drink, girlfriend does not. There is so much to enjoy in Key West besides the bars. If you went to Key West because of the beaches, you didn't do any research before you went! I would not be surprised that you would rate KW 40 out of 40 for beach locales.

It isn't a beach town. It is however, The Conch Republic :-)

For romance and fun and a relaxing time and great food, KW can't be beat.

If you want beach time though, the choice is easily in favor of Ft. Lauderdale. A very cool fantastic place in it's own right and either way I don't think you could go wrong.

But they are two very different places with different things to do when there, and totally different feelings.

In Lauderdale you feel as though you're in Florida. (go figure) In Key West, you are somewhere else entirely.

KeY West has a groove. A funky groove!!

Cheektowaga, New...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

Well I had never been to Key West. I turned around after getting about half way there driving once.

I have been to Lauderdale several times.

This trip was for a romantic relaxing getaway. I chose Key West this time and flew directly there.

I made the right choice!!! Key West was an awesome place!!! As to the person who says they are so over the bar scene, gimmee a break. I drink, girlfriend does not. There is so much to enjoy in Key West besides the bars. If you went to Key West because of the beaches, you didn't do any research before you went! I would not be surprised that you would rate KW 40 out of 40 for beach locales.

It isn't a beach town. It is however, The Conch Republic :-)

For romance and fun and a relaxing time and great food, KW can't be beat.

If you want beach time though, the choice is easily in favor of Ft. Lauderdale. A very cool fantastic place in it's own right and either way I don't think you could go wrong.

But they are two very different places with different things to do when there, and totally different feelings.

In Lauderdale you feel as though you're in Florida. (go figure) In Key West, you are somewhere else entirely.

KeY West has a groove. A funky groove!!

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

I agree with beerme. We didn't step into one bar our entire honeymoon, and we still had a fabulous time in Key West!! There is so much to do! It's even fun to do nothing.

However, if you are looking for nice beaches, more time in Ft. Lauderdale might be for you.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key West vs. Ft. Lauderdale

Beaches and children, my vote for you is Ft. Lauderdale.

A new, fun place to go, my vote is Key West for you. My husband and I are 50, and Key West is special, you can walk almost everywhere, there is so much to do, if you choose to do it. There is so much to see, if you choose to look, and I can't say enough about the friendliness and the charm of this island. Its romantic, full of friendly tourist and the people on this island truly give you a warm welcome. Do your research, because, there is soooo much to do. Great Food, alot of touristy things during the day, and fun nite life!!!!!!! Loved every minute of our 5 day stay...............