We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
293 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

I am sharing this as with all the great TA'ers as so many of you have been helpful to me. Just a Heads Up...

Having never been to KW before, I have been doing a TON of research and have discovered that there are more than a few VERY small vacation rental units in Key West.

And what really ticks me off is that, even tho I have been specific in my requests and have indicated we need a minimum of 1000 Sq Ft, the small size was not revealed. I finally discovered this on my own.

We would have been extremely upset to have walked in the door and discovered that there is barely enough living space for 2 people, let alone 4, and at over 2K / week (during the time of our proposed visit) !! ( yes there are two bedrooms, but....c'mon....)

For instance, I was told (and I quote from the email sent by the agent):

"The total for "Sunshine Happiness" would come to $2335.50 after tax & cleaning. Would you like to secure those dates? It is about 900sq feet. "

Uhmmmm....WRONG! and This was not the only misleading information I have received from Agents.

I discovered this by checking property information at:

realtor.com/property-search/…

Shipyard complex in the Truman Annex.

Units 1-7 are from 513 to 646 SF.

NOT 900 SF !!!

and when I confronted the Agent with my discovery the reply was:

" My mistake. I was thinking of another unit in the Truman Annex. "

Aha. Right.

Lesson? GET AN ADDRESS and then research the address; Ask questions. And ya know what? I don't have time for all this.

To the Agents in KW ~ hey, How about some honesty and truthful disclosure ???? My family would LOVE to stay in Key West this year, but I'm getting a little tired this...

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

Try this company : http://www.athomekeywest.com/

They have been very helpful to me.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,769 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

What rental company did not give you accurate information? I hope not one I like to recommend!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

"We would have been extremely upset to have walked in the door and discovered that there is barely enough living space for 2 people . . ."

Hmm, I guess nobody better tell my husband that he and I have been living under barely habitable circumstances here in NYC, not for 2 weeks . . . but for the past 16 years! God only knows how we've survived it.

;)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
293 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

I understand. DH and I live in a small apt. in DC.

But this is for 4 people, not 2, and we will be on vacation!

5. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 August 2011, 20:35
Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
479 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

Well, unless you stay in one of the big hotels, interior space is going to be VERY small in nearly all KW vacation rentals. Key West is about enjoying the outside. We thought we'd need a full kitchen, but ended up only using the refrigerator for ice, the microwave once, and the coffeemaker, not even once.

But we used the hot tub and deck nearly every evening, we used the living room on the one day that a big rain system ran through.

We were a short walk from a lovely cafe with fresh pastries and espresso, where we sat and people watched in the morning. There was so much to go and try. Key West is different than Ocean City or Myrtle Beach. It requires a shift of expectations, if you're used to those for your "beach vacations" I suggest you ease up on your check list. There is so much to do, lots to see much of it without spending any money. Don't get so focused on square footage, check out the other amenities, like a pool and/or hot tub. If there's a private deck, that will more than make up for less interior space, trust me.

Keep in mind that Key West is TINY, and new construction is restricted. All rental properties will have as much stuff crammed in as possible. Expect the beds to be only a few feet smaller than the bedrooms, and if they aren't, you'll pay a much higher price per night for that "extra" room.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

I stayed in KW for a month this summer. We rented a two story townhouse in the Truman Annex. Two bedrooms and 2 1/2 bathrooms with pool access and a hot tub in the back. We had anywhere from four to six people staying in the house during our visit and were quite comfortable. Check out Craig and Cindy's Key West Rentals on Fleming Street. I don't have the exact website handy, but it should be easy to find. They have YouTube walkthrough videos of most (if not all) of their properties and were pleasant to deal with.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
293 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

Sirabi ~

Perhaps the point is missed.

What bothers me is that even when I clearly state my parameters, I am misled. And it has taken a lot of research for me to discover this. AND, when questioned, a couple of the Agents were...well...evasive, if not downright deceptive. And I am warning people to check things out before committing their hard earned dollars, even when booking with "professionals".

Please understand that I absolutely "get" what you are saying and I agree ! And certainly we will enjoy a tub and deck a lot , i (I hope we will- in Jan. you never know !!!) In fact, one of my "must have's" is a nice outdoor space.

I feel on the defensive here and I'm not sure why...

I've never been to OC or Myrtle Beach.

Cape Coral
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

We just returned home from a week at a condo in Truman Annex. Yes, it was in the Shipyard section and was a 2 bedroom/2 bath, 2nd floor condo. We rented directly with the owner and were very happy with our choice and the owner was very helpful in making our stay a pleasant one. Truman Annex is a very safe and convenient location to do many things without driving. 88 days and counting until I will be back in paradise! Best of luck in finding a place to stay.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
487 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Careful; VERY small condos; 500-650 Sq Ft; and I'm angry

I don't like being misled either, rn4, but there are plenty of websites about the Shipyard condos, even realtor sites, which will give you the dimensions of the condos. Lots of owners and agents have photos as well and you get a good idea of the size. For us and what we pay each February, we love "our" condo. Great location, quiet, parking space and pool! I Try Jaime at www.kwvpr.com. Four years running and no problems.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 12:29