We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel location, important?

Sebewaing, Michigan
Level Contributor
382 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel location, important?

I'm having a hard time picking a hotel for our 1 night in KW. I originally thought we'd stay at the Doubletree (HH members), but it's off by itself closer to the airport than the beauty of KW. Since the prices of most hotels are obscene, is the West side (Casa Marina area or Hyatt area) much better? I'm not a nightlife person (almost 50 traveling with hubby). We will most likely take in KW for the afternoon and evening, leaving the next morning shortly after breakfast for 2 nights at Islamorada and a final night closer to Fort Lauderdale. My thoughts on hotel choices are usually, "you're only there to sleep," and "it needs to be clean." The hotels I'm looking at are $200-$350. Can't help but think it would be worth the extra money to stay on the West side. If we are hanging out in that area, it makes more sense to stay there. Thoughts?

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel location, important?

For one night I don't see a big issue with staying at the Doubletree and taking advantage of the free shuttle. I'm HHonors Gold and staying there for the first time two nights this month. Hyatt is a great location but the price difference wasn't worth it this time.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,539 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel location, important?

The benefit to staying at, say the Ocean Key or the Pier House, each at the end of Duval, is that you can walk to a sunset sail or to a snorkeling trip or to a happy hour or to the sunset celabration. Then walk back and start over, either that day or the next. But you're not going to have multiple days so the location of one hotel vs another is not critical at all.

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,348 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel location, important?

We enjoy staying at Casa. I don't like the busy end of Duval like where Pier House is. Casa has parking, walkable places and it's fairly quiet.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel location, important?

I reserved a room at the Blue Marlin hotel for the first week in December and the cost was only around $80 which is great compared to the other hotels in Key West. I checked the reviews and they were all good so I booked it. Supposed to be in a quiet area within walking distance to all the things you would want to see & do. Free parking is a plus if you have a car.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,495 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel location, important?

For one night I think you will be fine at The Doubletree. You can easily drive or take the shuttle into Old Town for your day of exploring. I would not spend the extra money if it were me.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel location, important?

Does it have to be a hotel, or are you open to Bed & Breakfasts too?

Sebewaing, Michigan
Level Contributor
382 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel location, important?

I've never stayed at a B&B. Where we live, it's someone opening their home with a spare bedroom. I don't think I am against considering a B&B. Do most have a private bath? I seriously think my hubby would freak out if I mentioned it. I did look at a couple close to Duval Street. Neither were available for my date. The prices seem better than any hotel in that area. I hate obsessing about this one night!

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel location, important?

The Doubletree is located, right across from one of the nicest place to walk or bike in Key West. Right along the ocean is a wide sidewalk that you could enjoy a nice morning or afternoon walk. Nice pool area and good shuttle.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,495 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel location, important?

B&B's in Key West are mostly large homes turned into guest houses. The owner almost never lives there. It is nothing like you are thinking of. They are private, hotel like rooms, usually with private baths. Many are beautiful old mansions with lush grounds and pool. I prefer them to a hotel.

Many of the nicer ones do have minimum stays, so one night might be tough.

Try Cypress House, Key West Harbor Inn, Mermaid and Alligator, Heron House or Duval House for some nicer options. The Grand Guest House has no pool, but offers clean rooms at a good price. The Grand is a few blocks away from Duval in a residential area of Old Town.

I am not sure it makes a big difference for just one night...

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel location, important?

As SDT said - B&B's are nothing like you are thinking of..And that's true..

Most do have private bathrooms/etc ..It's just that they are not as modern as the big hotels...I actually like them better...

Here is a link you can go through and see some places, you might like.

www.historickeywestinns.com --not sure if they offer 1 night stays or not.

You'll have to call..

And if your husband is dead set against a B&B then I will suggest the Crown Plaza La Concha...Not sure what night you'll be in town but for example: the Crown will charge you approx $240 on a friday night, but only about $160 during the week...The Crown Plaza is located on Duval street, so you can walk around town and enjoy !