We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish

Hi! I was reading on the Islamorada forum that they have been having trouble with jellyfish. I understand there are always a few here and there but the poster in that forum made it sound as if they have been a real problem for divers and snorkelers. Are they currently having similar issues in Key West?

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish

We were there in July and never saw a single jellyfish, and believe me, I am ALWAYS on the lookout for them. They freak me out! Your snorkel/dive guide will know if there is a current problem, as will the attendants at the beaches. Just ask.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
159 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish

I was there the first week of Aug and 1/2 of our group went on a snorkeling trip during which several people were stung by jellyfish. My friends chose not to get in the water at all. It might be worth asking about if you plan to take one of these excursions.

I rode a jet ski just off shore around the island and did not notice any jelly fish. It may be a problem further off shore.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish

Thanks for your replies.

I think the husband and I will go out on a sunset cruise the night before our planned snorkel trip.

We will look for an abundance of jellyfish. I really would love to go on Danger's snorkel and kayak trip. I hope the jellys float away!

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish

My friend and his new wife just came back from Key West on honeymoon and they snorkeled. He said they saw tons of jellyfish. Made for an anxious and less than pleasant trip.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish

might be a good excuse to wear a wetsuit.

I have seen moon jellies washed up on the beach but last May saw only those tiny, almost-transparent little ones that are harmless.

On a Danger trip they might alter their snorkeling sites based on the previous day's jelly sightings.

London, UK
Level Contributor
278 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish

We took Danger's full day trip on 30th Aug and saw one jelly fish. However we did a snorkel trip in Key Largo and there were about 15-20 of them. Danger's trip was excellent - I will be doing a trip report shortly.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish

I can't wait to read your TR UKTraveller! We leave on Monday the 26th and the wait is killing me. Last night I dreamed we missed our flight so we were taking a bus and then I missed the bus too! All of the luggage and my husband were loaded without me!

Key West
Level Contributor
296 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish

Yes, there are an abundance of moon jellies right now. It hasn't stopped me from snorkeling, lobster diving or chilling at the sandbar and I haven't been stung. I try to be very aware of my surrounding when I'm in the water and if I see one coming my way, I get out of the way. Found this:

"The basic and normal Jellyfishes that also happen to be in the highest numbers of all the Jellyfishes are also called the Moon Jellyfish. They normally do not sting human species. But they do use their tentacles to sting other prey and little fishes for food. Even if they were to sting humans accidentally, all it will do is leave a small rash as their cnidoblasts aren't powerful enough to penetrate human skin tissues, but most of the times these stings can hardly be felt at all."

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,777 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish

Danger provides "shorty" wetsuits for free on their trips but I don't know if they only put them on board when the water gets a little chilly. You should ask when you book if you book at the booth at the Westin Marina or on the phone. These would provide some protection but some of your arms and legs will be exposed.

(Save $2.00 by not booking on-line)

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish

You can touch the moon jellies, we were at the sand bar (middle Keys) last week and there were some. We would pick up the smalls ones and study them and move the big ones away with out hands. Some people get a small, small reaction from touching underneath them, but, like I said - we pick them up! Now if it's a man o war with the blue bubble. Don't touch.