We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

Florida
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

Hi,

We will be driving to KW, arrive there in late afternoon and stay 2 nights. I'm checking out all the $ restaurants there (from Trip advisor list) and lunch menus are mostly $9.95. Are these regular prices in Key West? We are a family of 5 and I am looking for some cheap place to eat some local foods while we are there.

Maybe once or twice we can do local diner type place that is unique to the area but the rest of the time, I don't want to fork out $50 each meal for the family :( I'm willing to bring some food that we can eat in the morning. FYI, we are not camping this time and will be staying at a motel.

TIA

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,790 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

Your best bet for an inexpensive dinner with local foods is Alonzo's oyster bar at the Key West Bight from 4:30 - 6:30. Every appitizer except oysters on the half shell and every drink is half-priced. And they have a large and varied appitizer menu with steamers, three types of peel and shrimp, oysters Rocekefeller, o-rings, etc. You can sit outside overlooking the Bight, maybe watch the fishing cruisers come in, and everyone can pick one thing to try and to share.

Pjk

conn
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

Larger chain grocery stores on North Roosevelt Blvd have great hot meals at a reasonable price.

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

In all honesty, I cannot think of a single place where a family of 5 is going to eat out for less than $50.00. Heck, you can't even do that here in Ohio unless you are at Wendy's or McDonald's. Your best bet would be to stock the fridge in your room with deli foods for breakfast and lunch, thereby being able to spend a little more for dinner. Like PJK said, Alonzo's Happy Hour is probably the the cheapest option for you, but a lot of their appetizers are seafood based; hopefully your kids like seafood. I would also suggest Abbendonza (I always spell that wrong) for a family dinner. Very reasonable prices and the food is abundant. Certainly not what I would consider gourmet dining, but it isn't bad. Sweet Tea's on Duval is also a reasonably priced alternative. Angelina's Pizza on Duval is also pretty cheap, and they have subs. Again, certainly not haute cuisine, but the kids will like it.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

I think the key will be to share. Most restaurants here have huge portions. Many entrees or sandwiches are big enough to share. At abbondonza, mentioned above, the spaghetti and meatballs are easily enough for 2 people.

One option might be to buy stuff at one of the large chain grocery stores in New Town and have a picnic or cookout at Fort Zachary Taylor.

The Deli, El Siboney and Mathesons are some other affordable restaurants. The Deli and Mathesons have kids menus. (Although you will likely spend all your savings on Ice Cream at Mathesons!). There are some affordable delivery options. Cuban Coffee Queen has great Mojo Pork with rice and beans. One order is $6 and enough for 2 people. You can always order pizzas from Mr Z's.

Kreskin2207
Level Contributor
61 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

Half Shell also has a really great happy hour with super cheap oysters. Turtle Kraals also has some very good specials.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

Like SDT stated , sharing is a great option. In all reality it is very hard to find a place that will feed 5 people under $50. Mangia Mangia is reasonably priced as is El Siboney. Garbo's Grill is a favorite of mine that is priced well with big portions.

Washington
Level Contributor
524 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

In addition to all the other suggestions, I also suggest Hogfish Bar and Grill since you have a car (little off the beaten path). Portions are huge and there is a large variety on the menu, which may help to accomodate children. Agree with everyone else - try to share meals. We do it all the time. At most restaurants we can never finish what we have. When we travel, we also frequently don't a refrigerator to keep leftovers so it just goes to waste.

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
616 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

You can always do Wendy's on Duval or hit up a couple slices of pizza at Angelina's or Mr Z's to save money on lunch then spend a little more for dinner.

Delaware
Level Contributor
78 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

Check out Harpoon Harry's menu, they usually always have specials. Home cooked food.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to eat while in KW with young kids, inexpensively

Try the Hurricane Hole-Stock Island, they have good food and daily specials. We also like the little food cart by the Aquarium, you can sit and people watch. Servings are good sized so you can share, and I'm sure the kids will enjoy it.