We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stop between Miami and KW?

new york
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Places to stop between Miami and KW?

Hello everyone...

BF and I will be driving from Miami on a Sunday morning to Key West for a 2 night stay at the Westin Marina. This will be our first trip to the Keys!! I know we will have to visit The Porch as the bf is a huge beer fan once we get there.

Can anyone recommend some spots to stop along the drive down? Scenic roads we must take, places to grab a late breakfast/early lunch?

Thanks in advance!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stop between Miami and KW?

Only one road, and it's scenic :)

Robbie's - to feed the Tarpon - is a must.

Sombrero Beach, Bahia Honda, Dolphin Research and so much more.... look to the right hand column for a bunch of suggestions, written in blue.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stop between Miami and KW?

Alabama Jack's on Card Sound Road for the best conch fritters in the Keys.

Definitely Robbie's Marina to feed the tarpon and there is a great restaurant there as well, the Hungry Tarpon.

We always like to stop at the Worldwide Sportsman, I know it's touristy but it's a beautiful place to walk around, see the water, boats and they have a replica of Hemingway's boat, the Pilar, right in the middle of the store, plus a great little bar upstairs with awesome views of the sunset, called the Zane Grey lounge.

Since you're only in KW for 2 nights, I wouldn't do too much else on the drive down, there's so much to do in Key West!

new york
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stop between Miami and KW?

Thanks! The Tarpon feeding looks pretty cool we will definitely have to stop there.

Have you ever been to Prime Steakhouse or Better Than Sex Dessert Restaurant? Was hopping around the food recommendations and these places seemed to have pretty good reviews. That desert place seems AMAZING

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,369 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stop between Miami and KW?

I have been to both. Prime 951 is excellent. Better then sex is good, but pretty expensive. I do not go often, but I think I would try it if I was visiting.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stop between Miami and KW?

if you bake at all, don't go to Better Than Sex for the desserts. Some people like the atmosphere and the double entendres. I have read all the great reviews though so it looks like I'm in the minority.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
529 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stop between Miami and KW?

We like to stop at Bahia Honda State Park for a car-break on the beach. Lots of nice sandy beach to lay on. In October, we practically had the whole area near the train trestle to ourselves. There are pavillions and picnic tables. Even a changing/dressing room.

We went to Better Than Sex. I'm a baker. The wine pairings (with "rim jobs") are not to be missed. I had the the Sex Appeal, and hubby had Kelly's Climax.Go for the drinks, if nothing else!

I had the Red Velvet Cheesecake. Hubby had the evening's special... I can't remember what it was called. A chocolate mousse with . . . it was rich and wonderful.

7. Re: Places to stop between Miami and KW?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 08:21