We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West Airport

Webster, New York
Level Contributor
228 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Key West Airport

We're heading down to Key West in 38 days (not that I'm counting). It's been years since we flew directly into Key West. I remember they were renovating the airport a few years ago. Any big changes we should know about?

Key West
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West Airport

nope...it's new and upgraded but nothing that should confuse you.

Bonez

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West Airport

I found it a delight a couple of weeks ago.

I`d been told there was no bar to utilise on departure.

There are 2.

It`s as laid back as the rest of the island.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West Airport

I didn't see the bartenders dog when we were there earlier this month. Last year he told us the dog would beg for fries but only liked them with ketchup.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West Airport

The big chnges are when you leave. You can check in, go through security, then relax. There are bathrooms and two nice gift shops, one of which sells things from Montaage in case you forgot or just want to guess where the places on the plaques are. You can have a drink or just coffee and a nice snack. (The lady who works at the small gift shop used to work at SummerSalt until it closed)

The place makes leaving a little easier.

Pjk

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West Airport

I think only the unshakeable knowledge that one will return ASAP does that Pjk.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West Airport

The waiting area for departures is much better, it's much less crowded and the biggest thing is that there are bathrooms in the departure area so when you get on one of those little planes with no bathroom you can go just before you get on the plane.

babylon
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Key West Airport

and don't forget the nifty little "beach" where you can have a smoke before boarding...

Webster, New York
Level Contributor
228 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key West Airport

I always loved the charm of the Key West airport so it doesn't sound like that has been lost... I do like the idea of the bathroom in the waiting area. It's a beautiful drive down from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, but nothing like flying over the keys and landing in Key West. Can't wait, now only 37 days!!

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Key West Airport

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned is, on departure you have to enter on the second floor. The entrance to the second floor is in the parking garage. I haven't seen an entrance outside although there may be one, we've always hit the elevator in the center of the garage.

Buster

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key West Airport

I still have breakfast at the Conch Flyer once in a while on the way out of Key West. Hash & eggs.

Pjk